Thread: Sketchup 3D Warehouse failures?

Sketchup 3D Warehouse failures?

I'm running Sketchup Make 2016. I'm recently having trouble downloading models from the 3D Warehouse. When I attempt a download, I get a message that says "this model was created in a newer version of Sketchup. You must update...". However, I can see the last_update date on the model, and it is in early 2014 -- well before Make 2016 was published.

Anybody else having this trouble?

Or even better, does anybody have a solution to my problem?

If you download from the search page it will only give you the latest version. If you click on the search item it will take you to a detailed page. There the download button will give you the choice to download it in multiple versions down to the version it was originally created in. If it was created in the 2016 version that will be available. Some of the models I have posted were created in 2016 so it is available in that version. Those that were created in the 2017 version are not offered in earlier file versions.
    capture.png Untitled.png

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I've been attempting to download from the detailed page, and the models I've tried to download don't give me any options.

The 3D Warehouse supports the three most recent versions of SketchUp with the release of SU2019 last month, SketchUp 2016 and early versions are no longer supported. There may be a few files available still but they'll be going away as the Warehouse continues to get updated. If you go to the 3D Warehouse in your internet browser, you can download the Collada file for the component and then import it into SketchUp 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    The 3D Warehouse supports the three most recent versions of SketchUp with the release of SU2019 last month, SketchUp 2016 and early versions are no longer supported. There may be a few files available still but they'll be going away as the Warehouse continues to get updated. If you go to the 3D Warehouse in your internet browser, you can download the Collada file for the component and then import it into SketchUp 2016.
    Argh. That's kinda what I suspected. My copy is only three years old, and they declare it unsupported. It sure seems like a scam to force people to buy a new version. I expect that behavior from Microsoft, but I'd have hoped SU was better than that.

You probably aren't interested but maybe this will help someone. This was announced a year ago and it actually took longer for them to implement it than they intended.

Hello 3D Warehouse users,

If you’re using SketchUp 2016 or earlier on Microsoft Windows, this message is for you.

Later this year 3D Warehouse will no longer be compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    While we do our best to maintain backward-compatibility, many new web technologies simply can’t run in older internet browsers.

How does this affect me?

You will no longer be able to access all features of 3D Warehouse using the web dialog in SketchUp 2016 and earlier. The built-in dialog uses an embedded version of Internet Explorer even when you have Chrome, Firefox or Edge installed on the same computer.

SketchUp 2017 and later use an embedded Chromium browser that is fully compatible with 3D Warehouse.

What can I do?

Upgrade SketchUp

For non-commercial use you can use SketchUp Free online or download SketchUp Make from this 118 page. If you use SketchUp for commercial purposes you need SketchUp Pro.

Use A Browser

If you want to stick with your current version of SketchUp you can still access 3D Warehouse using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.
    And this more recently:

we generally only support 3 version of SketchUp. 2016 also uses older versions of native browsers, and unfortunately in the world we live in, it’s no longer acceptable or secure to run older sw that hasn’t been updated in sw we don’t control.

Dave, from that note it seems that SU 2017 would work for me. I think SU2017 is no longer offered at the standard Sketchup web site. The note says I can download it from "this 118 page". Do you know what that is?

Ah, no, SU 2017 Free is apparently still downloadable from the standard SU web site.

Yes. SketchUp 2017 Make is still available here. Or you can use SketchUp Free which is the web-based version. Both have their benefits.