Thread: Sanding drums for Grizzly T27417 Oscillating Edge Belt and Spindle Sander

Sanding drums for Grizzly T27417 Oscillating Edge Belt and Spindle Sander

I am thinking about getting a Grizzly T27417 - Oscillating Edge Belt and Spindle Sander (see https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-Sander/T27417)

These are currently out of stock.

How often are Grizzly discount coupons made available?

I am a bit confused about what, and where to buy to go with this. More specifically, the specs state:

5 rubber sanding sleeves (4-1/2" long): 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", 2"
    4 Sanding drums: 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", 2"
    Sanding belt size: 4" x 24"

I assume that if I find a sleeve that says that it is 4.5 inches long and has a diameter of 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1.5, or 2 inches, then they should work. Same question related to Sanding belts. If it is 4x24, should it work?

Any thoughts on the best place to buy these things?

Any thoughts on this particular unit?

Looks similar to this sander from Rigid.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-O...4424/100061671

I've got the Rigid, and it seems like almost everybody else I see on YouTube does too. If you're in the states you can pick up this sander from your local Home Depot, at which point it's probably cheaper than the Grizzly unit, since the the Grizzly is going to cost shipping. Further if you have a problem you can easily take it back.

The Ridgid model works fine with standard sized belts, I'd assume the Grizzly version does as well.
    Last edited by Andrew More; 03-22-2019 at 9:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Looks similar to this sander from Rigid.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-O...4424/100061671

I've got the Rigid, and it seems like almost everybody else I see on YouTube does too. If you're in the states you can pick up this sander from your local Home Depot, at which point it's probably cheaper than the Grizzly unit, since the the Grizzly is going to cost shipping. Further if you have a problem you can easily take it back.

The Ridgid model works fine with standard sized belts, I'd assume the Grizzly version does as well.
    I looked at the Ridgid a few years back and figured I would get one of those, but, my understanding is that to save costs, Ridgid has set a bunch of stuff as plastic that used to not be plastic. One might argue that it does not matter if it carries a lifetime warranty. OK, it is listed as a lifetime service agreement, not sure what that means. There are a few other advantages to the Grizzly, but availability is certainly not one of them.

Could be that there are a lot of plastic parts, but looking at the Grizzly I'm not sure why it wouldn't also have the same draw back, since they're the virtually the same price. In my mind they're pretty much the same thing, but it's your money. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the other options.

Could be that there are a lot of plastic parts, but looking at the Grizzly I'm not sure why it wouldn't also have the same draw back, since they're the virtually the same price. In my mind they're pretty much the same thing, but it's your money. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the other options.
    I do appreciate the information. A few differences off the top of my head:

Grizzly has more metal (less likely to fail), a DC motor (rather than an AC induction motor), stronger motor, separate method for performing the oscillations (as opposed to built-in to the primary motor), better dust collection, and apparently has some minor tracking issue with the belt so they recommend place a slight crown on one of the support bars using electrical tape (and by they, I don't mean Grizzly, I mean I see it in some posts on other forums).

What do I know about the Ridgid stand out? Significant market penetration, multiple versions so some people have had trouble figuring out which part they need, available for local pickup at Home Depot, some kind of extended warranty if you buy at Home Depot and register it within 90 days, many reports of premature failure from newer buyers (if you believe the reviews).

Problem is, I need it now, I made another set of strops and I have had it with the methods that I am currently using to sand into those curves... and I am trying to build a few cheap knife kits to gain some experience and one of them there oscillating sanders is the tool for the job. So, I am now the proud owner of a new Ridgid oscillating sander.

I will try it out today after I prepare to teach a class Sunday morning (it is Saturday afternoon now).

Curious to know how you determined the Grizzly has more metal parts. Not doubting the info, just wondering, since ordering from Grizzly sometimes is a bit of a pig in a poke, so any place I can get more info is always useful.

I'm also a bit dubious that Grizzly is getting a 1/2 HP out of a 3.5 AMP draw. Not saying their bad, I've got some of their tools, but this seems like typical marketing wank, so I generally pay a lot more attention to the amp draw. This is useful for that:
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/e...ps-d_1455.html

Going on that, the Ridgid is more likely the large motor. Grizzly also says that the motor is a universal motor, which is AC, not DC.

Curious to know how you determined the Grizzly has more metal parts. Not doubting the info, just wondering, since ordering from Grizzly sometimes is a bit of a pig in a poke, so any place I can get more info is always useful.

I'm also a bit dubious that Grizzly is getting a 1/2 HP out of a 3.5 AMP draw. Not saying their bad, I've got some of their tools, but this seems like typical marketing wank, so I generally pay a lot more attention to the amp draw. This is useful for that:
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/e...ps-d_1455.html

Going on that, the Ridgid is more likely the large motor. Grizzly also says that the motor is a universal motor, which is AC, not DC.
    I would need to go back and check, but it was a two part review on Lumber Jocks I think. It made for a very good read... He was speculating that you might be able to use a variable speed because of it on the Grizzly and in the second part he was calculating power draw vs horse power vs motor type (and similar). I would go looking for it, but, I think that I cannot post a link to it from this forum (against the rules). I googled the grizzly based on the part number looking for reviews.

And now I will go open my Ridgid. If it passes the smoke test, I will register it. If it fails the smoke test, I will swap it at Home Depot before I register it. The box is huge, did not fit in the trunk, but it did fit into my backseat (thankfully).

If you cannot find the review, shoot me a private message and I will send you the links out of band (if you care to read them), but, it is probably moot since at this point neither of us will likely purchase one.