Thread: Blue Grass Hammers

Blog Entries

Blue Grass Hammers

My 7 oz BG wooden handle surfaced in my shop. I had forgotten about it.

My Daddy favored Blue Grass and so do I. I just favor wooden handle, well balanced hammers.

Blog Entries
    Seeing "Blue Grass Hammers" made me think you were talking about a hammer dulcimer or some other down home music making device.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    See this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Look at the prices on some of the itemsl

Jeez! I have several NOS Blue Grass hammers, bought better than a decade ago from (IIRC) a Donnelly auction, in a lot of something else I was after. Never used, still have labels!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    You might get them appraised. My Daddy preferred Blue Grass hammers and I really like the balance of the hammers, the shape of the handle, and also how they perform. I have a 7 oz. and a 16 oz hammer.

Got a 14 oz Blue Grass $5 flea market special with original handle. This one stays in the shop. Also got a 32 oz double bit Blue Grass ax thats put a lot more wear on me than I did on it in the last 45 years. Good tools

Remember my dad's hammer: 16oz. Blue Grass with a red fiberglass handle. Where the handle went into the head, the handle, through use and bumps, was wore down to at heast half of original exterior dimensions. Eventually he re-handled with hickory handle. When he died in 2004, I placed the hammer with in, in the casket before it was closed up (he always had the hammer with him, as well as a plum colored Stanley 60-1/2 (I kept the block plane).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    .......When he died in 2004, I placed the hammer with in, in the casket before it was closed up
    Outstanding, sir. What a cool story.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Those prices are ridiculous. Blue Grass tools are excellent but not special. Belknap just contracted to have them made by companies already producing such items in the same way Sears did with the Craftsman line.
    In my younger years I favored Plumb hammers. My Dad had a Blue Grass hammer that was identical in every way including feel and balance. I am convinced they were contract made by Plumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Now the backstory: there was a young guy who my dad took under his wing to show him some residential carpentry tips. The young guy was pretty upset at my dad's passing and when I stayed after for the closing of the casket, he too put something in: a flat construction pencil in my dad's suit pocket. I didn't have the heart to tell the kid that those pencils were something, for whatever reason, my dad really disliked. I left it there!
    Last edited by Tony Zaffuto; 03-24-2019 at 6:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    +1, to both stories!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    My oldest son put his Grandpa's favorite fishing reel in his casket before he was buried.