Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leviton breaker panel

Blog Entries

Leviton breaker panel

I ran across an ad for this thing just a week ago.

https://www.leviton.com/standalone/LoadCenter/

It's really pretty. All white and hip and stuff. What bugs me is that is the wi-fi connectivity. I'm a fan of The Energy Detective having owned two now. But TED is just for monitoring. It's entirely passive and can't be used to control anything. This Leviton thing lets you get in over a phone app and trip breakers.

Am I paranoid or does this sound like a recipe for real trouble? The inevitability of hacking is like water outside your house. It's going to get in sooner or later. The question is what sort of havoc a hacker can cause when they do get in. Could this be a perfect murder? Turn off the circuit for the oxygen generator, wait for the victim to die and then turn it back on?

To be fair, with sufficient security, I can see real benefits for a company managing properties. Being able to monitor and take action on every circuit in the house might have some real benefits.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Am I paranoid or does this sound like a recipe for real trouble?
    [/URL]
    You’re being paranoid.

Blog Entries
    Am I paranoid or does this sound like a recipe for real trouble?
    I agree it is asking for trouble.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You’re being paranoid.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

I ran across an ad for this thing just a week ago.

https://www.leviton.com/standalone/LoadCenter/

. Could this be a perfect murder? Turn off the circuit for the oxygen generator, wait for the victim to die and then turn it back on?

Roger, the breakers cannot be remotely closed.

I personally have no use for this technology.............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rod. I sure missed that they can't be closed. So much for the perfect murder.

To be fair, Leviton has a couple of pretty good ideas. You attach wires to lugs on the panels, not the breakers. That should make breaker replacement a snap.

That's true, however it's one more flimsy joint to go wrong.

When I replaced my home panel I specified bolt in breakers.........Rod.

Until the large guys with guns show up and force you to install one I think you're being paranoid. The mere existence of a product that you don't have to buy comprises very little threat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rod. I sure missed that they can't be closed. So much for the perfect murder.

To be fair, Leviton has a couple of pretty good ideas. You attach wires to lugs on the panels, not the breakers. That should make breaker replacement a snap.
    Changing breakers is a snap anyway. It's a good looking panel. I'd have to have experience with a bunch of them before passing judgement on the system, but my initial thoughts are that more complexity for no real benefit is not always a good thing. I'm speaking of the panel system, not the smart breakers.

Sorry Rod You misread the literature
    I am electrical and spec panels

What is says is you CAN remotely trip a breaker but you can't reset it remotely

You would need a motor operated breaker to do a remote reset

If you are on vacation and accidently shut off the wrong breaker you could be screwed

Even the high end SCADA systems are hackable no reason to believe these on a home network could not
    It also allows a remote program update. A hacker spoofs leviton email and tells you an update is available for your panel and you say sure and uploads a virus/backdoor .... opps

Blog Entries
    What's next? WiFi for my commode? Please don't tell me it is already available...
    NOW you tell me...

Go to YT do search for wifi bluetooth toilet

Yes they exist

Clearly, not a unit you want to work on with dirty hands...

Seriously, it's an interesting concept and I'm not surprised at all. I suspect we'll see more and more of this extension of "connection" to all of the edges of a property.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How often do you replace a breaker? I have been a homeowner for 18 years now and I have never had to replace a failed breaker. My current house I had to upgrade the breakers to arc fault due to rewiring the house, but that is not something most have to do.

It's a nice concept, but I don't see much practical application for the home environment. It can't be cheap either.
    It's pretty cool watching where technology is moving. Something not very useful today,could morph into something beneficial in 5-10 years.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)