Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paolini Rule

Paolini Rule

Woodpeckers have just announced another run of this tool and I was just wondering if anyone who has bought one previously would comment on if it is useful or something that sits in the drawer never to be used. I looked at buying one the last time they were run and knocked it back because I have a sneaking suspicion it will be used a few times them dumped in a drawer. I would only buy the smallest one if I was to take the plunge, I have a 12'' Incra rule I never use but the 6" is constantly getting used. I don't want this to become a series of comments on the rights and wrongs of WP one time tools, we have been there and done that in prior times.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    I have the 6" one which I guess I bought the last time they offered it (2016?). I never use it, I have two cheap General 6" rules which I use 20-30 times a day.
    I do remember my grandson saw the price of it (maybe $29 or so) and said why would you pay $29 for a 6" ruler? Good question, simply woodworker tool craziness.
    Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I sort of agree but then I thought the Incra might be the same and I use that constantly.
    Chris

Chris, you know there are sooooo mannnny similar set ups on the market, and many for much less $$.

One could just use a Starrett combination square. It does the same thing!

Or there is a Veritas sliding square, which looks so much more sensitible as a layout tool when in the workshop ...

Remove the blade and you can use the end as a height gauge as well.

... or their Ruler Stop, which I have used from pre-production times ...

Honestly, I usually grab a combination square most of the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think a lot of this stuff depends on what work you do and I am in no way convinced the Paolini is a good thing for me but some reinforcement of others experience never hurts. I think the idea has been totally rejected now. Are you happy with the LV sliding square, the clamping nut on mine has never felt right. Three posts and I have taken my own thread off topic!
    Chris

Not sure I'd use the Paolini rule very much. I don't see much advantage over my small double squares?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I agree many other tools could be used with similar effect. Having said that I own at 12” aluminum version and a shorter stainless steel version of the Paolini rule. I do use the Paolini rule all the time in my garage hobbiest shop, choosing it over a small double square much of the time. The Paolini rule is lighter and less bulky in my pocket, compared to a double or combo square. The little stop is nice since you can use it as a stand to hold the rule upright on it’s long edge - useful in setting tool height. So...is this woodpeckers tool useful and good quality? Yup. Is it truly unique and worth extra cost? I guess that’s up to the individual pondering purchasing the tool. I like mine and use it often.

I have his 6" ruler and use it occasionally. It looks good and is useful, but I use my combo square more often for the same job.

So what is it anyway, a special way to make a toasted sandwich?
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-22-2019 at 7:33 AM. Reason: deleted link

I have the 8" version and use it all the time. I have a light vest that I wear when in the shop for most oft used stuff. Carry the 8" Paolini rule, a 6" rule from Kreg and a 4" Starret double combo square. My 8" Paolini is the one that gets used the most, hands down. The only thing I don't like is the 8" version is actually 9" long and sticks out of my pocket a little further than I'd like.

Looks like this is not a one-time tool run, as Woodpeckers says they are adding it to the product catalog full-time. I'm assuming they must have a high demand for these rules. I don't have one but I do have a rule stop that I don't use either! A rule and a combo square covers almost all layout/measuring tasks in my shop.

I missed the first run and the second but caught the last one. i was pretty excited for it but dont really use it. I forced myself a couple times. But i find i use their one time pocket square and a 6" square much more often.
    Or the delve square when marking for dominos.

Golly, with all the fiddly bits and the no-doubt "If ya gotta ask you can't afford it" price, I bet it was designed by a Brit engineer ("Looks good, but can you triple the number of carbs?")

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    So what is it anyway ?
    I had to look it up to find out, myself. It wasn't easy to find as the Woodpecker site page has been disabled. I found one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Woodpeckers have just announced another run of this tool and I was just wondering if anyone who has bought one previously would comment on if it is useful or something that sits in the drawer never to be used. I looked at buying one the last time they were run and knocked it back because I have a sneaking suspicion it will be used a few times them dumped in a drawer. I would only buy the smallest one if I was to take the plunge, I have a 12'' Incra rule I never use but the 6" is constantly getting used. I don't want this to become a series of comments on the rights and wrongs of WP one time tools, we have been there and done that in prior times.
    Chris,
    This is never an easy question to answer. It's possible you could buy one and it will sit in a drawer, and it's also possible that it could become your indispensable companion in the shop. It depends on the way you work and whether you would adopt using the tool as a habit. All their tools are well made.

I adopted the habit of using the DelVe square and it is now my constant companion and used incessantly in my shop, mostly for marking, sometimes for checking square, sometimes for machine setup. I love it so much, I bought a backup. But I do notice others think it is useless.

So my point is the answer depends more on you than the tool itself. Nobody here knows the way you work as well as you do.
    Edwin