Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connector for new air hose not sealing on pipe from compressor problem

Connector for new air hose not sealing on pipe from compressor problem

I had a custom length air hose (1/2” ID) made for my compressor today and was trying to attach the female end of the hose to a standard 1/2” galvanized pipe coming from my compressor. I think the connector is not designed to fit on a standard threaded pipe end. Attached are a couple of pic of the female end. Is there an adaptor I can add to the pipe that will accept this type of connector. As it is... it will not seal. What is this type of connector called?
    As you can tell I am not a plumber
    Thanks

Mark

IMG_7945.jpgIMG_2454.jpg

Not sure by looking at your pictures, but it may be a fitting that needs a tapered adapter or ferrel going into it to seal. They do make adapters for them. Since you say that you are not a plumber, I'd s;suggest taking the hose to a local hardware store and have them get you the right adapter to fit. If you go to a BORG, make sure the employee has a basic knowledge of plumbing so that you want find yourself worse off. They use those type of fittings in gas lines and water lines on fridges and such. Good luck.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

You want a flare to NPT adapter like this
    FIT357.jpg
    They come with either male or female ends.

Thanks Steve I appreciate the advice!
    Mark

Thanks Roger
    I will give it a try!
    Mark

When you thread the NPT female adapter on, use the gray teflon tape. Years ago, when sealing up all the leaks on an air compressor, I had to use pipe dope on both threads, and teflon tape between them to ever get it completely leak free. These days, with more teflon tapes to choose from, I've had good luck using only the gray (thicker) teflon tape. These were compressors that go up to 175 psi.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks Tom
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    I had a custom length air hose (1/2” ID) made for my compressor today and was trying to attach the female end of the hose to a standard 1/2” galvanized pipe coming from my compressor. I think the connector is not designed to fit on a standard threaded pipe end. Attached are a couple of pic of the female end. Is there an adaptor I can add to the pipe that will accept this type of connector. As it is... it will not seal. What is this type of connector called?
    As you can tell I am not a plumber
    Thanks

Mark

IMG_7945.jpgIMG_2454.jpg
    Whom ever made the hose for you will have the correct fittings. Hose looks like a hydraulic hose to me.

Thanks Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Whom ever made the hose for you will have the correct fittings. Hose looks like a hydraulic hose to me.
    Regular flared fittings are not going to work, the above advice is good.

Those are not flare fittings and they do not use any sealant. You might put oil on the threads if they do not seal.
    Bill D.

Thanks Bill!

it is a BSPT or a DIN fitting. I think its the only ones with the male part of the cone on the female thread side and a taper on the ID of the male thread. used usually for hydraulics or similar. the regular flare fitting pictured above has the cone part the other way round.

I couldn't find an adaper online with a female NPT thread, without a swivel. The swivel shouldn't leak, but on my tractors hydraulic hoses, they are usually where leaks start first. Might have to use a coupling. Any good auto parts store that makes hydraulic hoses should have any adapters needed, or whoever made up that hose. My recommendation for the gray teflon tape applies to the NPT threaded parts.

https://www.amazon.com/2404-08-08-Hy.../dp/B076HVSYPN

edited to add: Oops. I checked to see if that link worked, and right on the same page:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HVWHF1/ref=dp_prsubs_2

They shouldn't be hard to find.

Just an update.... I took the hose back and the seller told me the connector in question is an FPT Ball Seat (1/2 inch). They claimed my connection was leaking due to the poor surface of the pipe I was screwing it onto. The sold me a higher quality male fitting with a clean inside chamfer. I was finally able to get the connection to quit leaking. Thanks to all for your input.
    Mark