Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill press: going from floor to benchtop model

Drill press: going from floor to benchtop model

Just kind of curious if there is anyone out there that has gone from a floor-mounted drill press to a benchtop model and been happy with the change?

Years ago I stumbled across a pretty good deal on a Delta 16" floor-mounted drill press at the local Lowe's. It's done about everything I've needed, but the area under the table has always kind of bugged me as a waste of space; it's not like I find myself needing to drill a hole in the end of a stick/board very often (or ever), or wouldn't be able to come up with a different way of doing it if I did.

I've been considering building a small roll-around cabinet to go under the table, and over the base, to hold various tools/accessories for the machine... but I've also started thinking about just selling this one and getting a bench-top model to sit right *on* the roll-around cabinet.

Space isn't going to a big concern in the new shop... but the ability to move the drill press around would be nice. I've had a mobile base under the floor model I have now, but it's been more scary than useful, truth be told.

I am not sure how your drill press is put together but the older crafstman I have could be cut down into a benchtop with out much work.

Hi Monte,

Here are a few photos of two drill presses that I have owned for over 30 years. When I purchased the bench model drill press on the right, I build a small table/cart to set it on so I could roll it around. It has not moved from its current location in many years, but it is handy to have the additional work area/storage space for drill bits, etc. I use these two drill presses pretty much exclusively for metal work. I do have another floor model drill press in the wood shop.

The Dayton drill press on the left could easily be converted to a "bench model" by shortening the upright tube and remounting the drill press head.

If your current drill press is of good quality - I think that you would be better off to modify it (convert to bench model) as most of the drill presses I have seen lately are lacking in quality compared to the older drill presses.

Thanks,
    David

20190320_190557.jpg20190320_190631.jpg

I haven't switched from floor to bench-top, but I do have a bench-top unit that does everything I need it to do. I have a fairly small shop, and only need a drill press occasionally. I have a Wen 4214 mounted on a small mobile base (probably 30"x24" footprint) that is very stable. Most of the time, it's pushed out of the way, in a corner of my shop. When I need it, I pull it out where I have easy access and the lighting is good.

What all would be involved in the conversion? Shorten the column, and the associated toothed strip for raising/lowering the table?

When you say, "it seems like wasted space" I understand, but if you don't use it much anyway it would seem like to me that having one take up workbench space would be even more used up space. The foot print of most floor type drill presses is less than that section required of a workbench. I have a big floor type in my shop and it seems like to me it is the easiest machine to tuck someplace because it has the smallest footprint. The table saw has to be the worst, followed by a crosscut station be it a miter saw or radial arm. That can eat up a whole wall, but a floor type or freestanding drill press can almost go anywhere and not use up too much area. As far as use, the only thing the floor model will get you beside extra height is that it might be a little more user friendly because you can work/stand closer to it. Bench types will only let you get as close as the bench...some might not be too bad, but some will have you bending towards them the whole time. The other problem with the bench type is that if there is extra flat space, like the top of a work bench it seems like stuff just always gets piled on and every time you do need to use it there has to be a major clean up first. You can only pile so much stuff on the table of a floor model.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    What all would be involved in the conversion? Shorten the column, and the associated toothed strip for raising/lowering the table?
    Yes cut down the column. look and see how the head is mounted or the base. On mine the column goes all the way threw and is held in place by 1 bolt that clamps it to the column I could slide it down and just cut off the extra. the toothed strip do the same thing pick your size and cut off the extra.

Yes - shorten the column, and if equipped with the gear rack for raising and lowering - then shorten that as well. Most of the drill press racks have a flat at each end of the rack that slips under the retaining collars. The retaining collar has a matching step (rabbet in wood worker's terms) around the inner diameter. This allows the rack to rotate around the support tube when the table is rotated around the support tube. So - after you cut off the end of the rack you will need to machine or grind the flat to duplicate the one on the other end of the gear rack.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Yes - shorten the column, and if equipped with the gear rack for raising and lowering - then shorten that as well.
    Or go hybrid

DP-Cab (32).jpg

I have grown to expect to be able to make a given swing and so would be more tempted to go larger, versus smaller. If most of your drilling is near the edge, this becomes less important.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-21-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Or go hybrid

DP-Cab (32).jpg
    My setup is much like Glenn's. It works very well for me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    My setup is much like Glenn's. It works very well for me.
    I started this but basically just screwed casters to a piece of 3/4 ply and notched it to fit around the column and stacked bins on top.

I presently own three Delta drill presses, two bench mount and one floor standing, but many years ago I only had one bench mounted drill press and occasionally needed a floor mounted. I ended up mounting the bench mount drill press base backwards on the bench so the head and table hung off the front of the bench. For a low table needed when drilling something long, like lamp parts, I would build a temporary table up from the floor using a stack of parts bins upside down, adding or removing parts bins to change the height. For smaller height adjustments, I just added or removed a few pieces of wood to the stack of bins. It worked, but wasn't as convenient as having a true floor standing drill press.

Charley

What you use the press for will determine if the change to a smaller machine will work for you...throat depth and total throw are the general sacrifices. I don't use my drill press very much, but I don't believe I could downsize for some of the things I do with it where depth and distance matter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had a 12" Craftsman bench top for around 14 years and it has served me well. I have it mounted on a cabinet that I made with 5 drawers under it to hold bits and a large selection of other tools associated with drilling, etc. I have been looking at another press recently because, as Jim stated, the depth and throw are limited. I see some of the new floor models with throws of 5-6". Bench tops vary, but I haven't seen any with more than 3 1/2". Many times the column will get in the way on some projects.
    I even considered a radial drill press for that reason, but the reviews are not too favorable as of yet.
    Bench tops are great, but it will limit you in some instances.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Or go hybrid
    That or something very much like it, was the plan at one point... still on the table... but the mobile base I have (Delta, the one where they supply the corners w/ wheels, and you supply the 2x2 rails and 3/4" ply base, sized to suit) is extremely unstable when in mobile form. I don't really want to drill into the shop floor (especially with the new shop having a nice epoxy finish) if I can avoid it, but holy cow is that thing scary.