Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool handle other than Thompson?

Tool handle other than Thompson?

I really like the Thompson tool handles but using them this winter in my unheated shop was uncomfortable. I was thinking of trying the Robust collet type because of the wood handle. I should be able to still use the Thompson tools though. Any others in this situation? Comments?

Try obtaining a beautiful, heavy 2x2 0f tropical hardwood and turn your own--an heirloom instead of a mass produced, useful, but ordinary handle.

Try this https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...073_&rrec=true Hockey grip tape over 60 yds for $10. Keep your hands off the metal yet still keeps contour so tool will not roll.

For ~$12, you can buy a replacement shovel handle at the borgs. You can make 2-3 handles from one. Or you can ask your neighbors for broken tool handles or old wooden base/soft ball bats (straight grain for sure). The shovel handles are good for 1/2 dia. tools. You'll need something bigger (the bats) for the 3/4" Thompson bowl gouge.

I've started using Robust's wooden handle and swapping the Thompson tools around in it. I kinda like the triangular shape. I've tried turning a triangular handle--need more practice on that one--kind of got off center.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I really like the Thompson tool handles but using them this winter in my unheated shop was uncomfortable. I was thinking of trying the Robust collet type because of the wood handle. I should be able to still use the Thompson tools though. Any others in this situation? Comments?
    You can buy metal handles with non-metal sleeves, I have some that look like a tough foam rubber. I like the Thompson handles too except the diameter is a bit larger than I prefer to grip.

But I prefer wooden handles. Make the part that grips the tool from steel, brass, or aluminum. I've made them from aluminum on the wood lathe using standard woodturning tools.

I drill a hole to size in a wooden blank and a deeper hole to accommodate the tool shaft so I can control the length sticking out the end. Turn to suit. Some people worry that this method may not be strong enough to withstand severe abuse but I disagree, especially if the long shaft of the tool is embedded deeply in the handle. If concerned, add a metal ferrule on the end.

finished_small.jpg handle_inserts.jpg Handle_adpater_alum_IMG_6001.jpg Handle_roughing_IMG_5964.jpg

I find wooden handles very comfortable at any temperature. A bit of texturing allows a secure grip.

Note: Thompson gouges have a short section on the end of the shaft turned down to a smaller diameter, i.e., the a 3/8" gouge shaft is a bit larger than 3/8". He machines his handles to fit the larger diameter. If you make your own metal adapters for wooden handles, just bore them a tiny bit oversize to fit the thicker part of the shaft.

JKJ

I'm also in the make your own group. You can make them as long or short as you want, as thick as you want. Or thin. Some beads/coves/grooves help with grip and appearance. You can burn grooves, carve embellishments. Have a good time and make your tool useful.
    If you can't find nice looking hardwoods, as mentioned, shovel/pick/garden tool handles are a cheap and great source. Most of them are straight grained. That would be the only requirement for turning your own handles. Straight long grain.
    Personally I do not like swapping out handles, and I do have a few handles that allow tool changes. I much rather just grab the tool and turn. Don't care much for the feel of aluminum handles. Prefer wood. I may dress up my metal handles with hockey grip..... Good idea. Just gotta love this forum.

I bought a couple of the Jimmy Clewes cam locks from Doug Thompson. His gouges fit them perfectly, I make wooden handles for them, and I can very quickly take the gouge out of the handle for sharpening.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I inherited a set of Harrison Specialties Wood tools. It includes a nice and indestructible handle made out of aluminum but with foam grip. It accepts tools with a 1/2" diameter base. The tools are made in the US in Minnesota. I contacted him once regarding a question about one of his videos and I found him to be quite helpful. Here is a link to his 17" handle: https://www.harrisonspecialties.com/...turning-tools/

If you like the handles John posted in post #5 but don't fancy making your own metal parts they are available from LV.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...330,49233&ap=1

My Oneway handle has a piece of reinforced vinyl tubing over the aluminum. If the hockey tape isn't to your liking and you don't mind the increased diameter you could try to slide some hose on your handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    If you like the handles John posted in post #5 but don't fancy making your own metal parts they are available from LV.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...330,49233&ap=1
    I haven't looked at those from Lee Valley, but most of the commercial ones I've seen and bought I considered poorly designed. For example, they used a 1" diameter insert for a 1/4" diameter tool shaft. The third one from the left in the second picture I posted is like that - awkward to hold close to the end. I make the insert more proportional to the tool diameter to make it easier to hold and control, especially for detailed work. I also like to add grooves in the part that gets epoxied to the wood for better grip. As I mentioned, I have made them on the wood lathe with woodturning tools but it is quicker with the metal lathe. I also find it satisfying to use things I make.

If cost is a consideration I can make one for maybe $1 or less in materials and a little time. There are, or used to be, a bunch of people who made and sold these so maybe shop around.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I bought a couple of the Jimmy Clewes cam locks from Doug Thompson. His gouges fit them perfectly, I make wooden handles for them, and I can very quickly take the gouge out of the handle for sharpening.
    I did the same. Love the cam locks. One handle, many chisels. Fast change without tools. Easy sharpening. Very high quality. I've only one handle now. It's a 5/8" cam lock. i only have 5/8 and 1/2" bowl gouges so far. I bought an adapter for the 1/2" gouge to fit the 5/8" cam. As I can afford more tools, I'll likely add at least one more handle, but have pretty much settled on using the 5/8" cam for everything. And Thompson makes these CAMs for JC.

I'm also interested in carterandsons tools and was wondering if their 1/2" shanks would fit the JC locks. Can't seem to get an answer on this one.

I’ve got several of Trent Bosch’s handles and really like them because I can add weight to them because I prefer heavier handles. My personal preference.

The D-Way tool handles are nice. Metal with rubber covering.

I have considered/researched most all of the commercial handles and D-Way handles are what I use. I probably have 14-15 of them - both the old style covering and the new. They are excellent.

Left click my name for homepage link.