Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool handle other than Thompson?

@JKJ: I make my own ferrules, too, but having been given a LV gift card, I bought one of the Hosaluk ferrules from LV. The hole drilled in the handle is only 1/4" larger than the diameter of the tool shaft.
    I really like the Jimmy Clewes cam locks, too. The one advantage of the Hosaluk ferrule is that the tool can be inserted through the ferrule as far as I like. I have a Oneway gouge is that is really long - too long for my taste. With the ferrule, I cans shorten the gouge to any length I want. The cam locks are closed ended, so that is not possible.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

D-way is my choice.

I like the Jimmy Clewes cam locks. Having one handle for multiple tools takes up less room, easy for travel, easier to sharpen without having to negotiate the handle, can make the handle to fit your hand, and much cheaper in the long run. Not all tools fit the cam locks so I went with the Robust collet that works for any that don't fit. This works for me, but everyone has their own method and likes.

I wrap all of my wood and aluminum handles with the 3M stretch wrap from Craft Supplies. It's like an Ace bandage that comes in different colors. I don't have the grip that I used to and this stretch wrap helps me grip the handle better and makes it warm to the touch (although my shop is heated). I have 3 or 4 Thompson handles and 3 or 4 Stuart Batty handles and it makes a world of difference. Plus it's cheaper than a new handle or buying an insert! I also have a Bosch handle and a couple of D-Way handles but I don't wrap them because they have a rubber coating already. I do like the D-Way handles.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...e#ReviewsPanel

Craft Supplies also sells the Hosaluk handle insert for $5 less than Lee Valley.
    https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...andle%20insert

Pat the link I put up to the Hosaluk handle parts was the Canadian one. The US side price is $19.95 so the price is the same as Craft Supplies.

For a purchased handle, I prefer the Hannes tool tri-lobe handles. I think they will become even more effective when I get older and loose a little grip strength. https://hannestool.com/product-category/handles/

My first choice is Glaser HiTech.

I use the 3M stretch wrap as well on at least some of my Thompson handles. Certainly helps in the winter and has a nice feel.

John
    Could you please if possible provide detailed information on the dimensions of the metal inserts you make to hold tools ,the size of grubscrews used and information on the method used

kind regards Brian

Tool handle inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    John
    Could you please if possible provide detailed information on the dimensions of the metal inserts you make to hold tools ,the size of grubscrews used and information on the method used
    Brian,

I'd have to measure for a complete accounting (I'm a bit overbooked today!). I wrote this on another forum a couple of years ago - it has a few details.

Handle_roughing_IMG_5964.jpg Handle_roughing_using_IMG_5974.jpg

This spindle roughing gouge is made from 1" diameter Thompson steel. The shaft (can hardly call it a tang) is 5/8" diameter, the same as the smaller (and incredible) Thompson/St.Leger 5/8" roughing gouge. The smaller one is my favorite for small diameter spindles but this one works great for 2" to 4" spindles.

For a handle that would fit both, plus a few others, I made a new adapter on the metal-cutting lathe. This one is cut from a 1-1/4" diameter brass rod from the scrap yard. Drilling the 5/8" thru hole was tricky.

The largest I've made so far, it's pretty heavy made from brass, and the gouge is heavy too. To balance the weight I turned the handle from a piece of a Persimmon tree I cut here in 2006. A 3/4" hole is drilled deep into the handle so I can adjust the protrusion of a couple of longer tools with 5/8" shafts.

I start with rod of various sizes, from 3/4" (I think), often 1", and sometimes larger for the larger diameter tool shafts. The length extended from the front just needs to be long enough to comfortably fit two set screws. The length glued into the handle can be any length, the longer the stronger. I drill a deep hole so I can set most tool shafts deeply into the handle to minimize the length sticking out.

I usually use 5/16x18 set screws: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00II5ZO82
    On some inserts with thinner walls I grind the working ends of the set screws down so they are still flush with the insert.

When I'm making small diameter inserts I prefer to make them from steel instead of softer metal since the the thinner walls can accommodate fewer threads. For tapping I generally drill for 75% thread. I have used smaller set screws with finer threads for thinner walls but if possible I prefer the 5/16" so I can use the same allen wrench.

I drill the holes to hold the tools a little oversize so the Thompson tools will fit.

Someone else asked this same question sometime in the last year so I did measure some of them and last week I actually saw the piece of paper I wrote everything on! If I can find it again I'll post a followup later today, but if not it might be a bit before I can measure again. Ask again if I forget.

Making one from aluminum on the wood lathe with woodturning tools:

IMG_20150420_110928_149_se.jpg IMG_20150420_115245_729_se.jpg IMG_20150420_115928_884_se.jpg shavings_IMG_20150420_12241.jpg finished_small.jpg

JKJ

11. I just took a 3 day class from Ashley Harwood and go to try out the SB carbon fiber tool handles and bolsters which are amazing.

You can buy them from her at www.ashleyharwood.com and they are available from a couple of other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norwood View Post
    I just took a 3 day class from Ashley Harwood and go to try out the SB carbon fiber tool handles and bolsters which are amazing.

You can buy them from her at www.ashleyharwood.com and they are available from a couple of other sources.
    The last time I was at Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas they mentioned that Stuart Batty stopped production of his tool handles. However, Woodworkers Emporium was planning to continue with the line. I just checked their website and they now not only offer their carbon fiber handles with the SB Taper-Lock bolsters but also the Robust collet system.