Thread: New Shop in Progress

Blog Entries

New Shop in Progress

A069C0FF-66D9-40FD-ADA2-8DAD554E43EC.jpg There is obviously a good deal going on in this room. The screened porch is out the windows on the right hand wall. The plan is to enlarge the porch area which will make a larger shop space. At the moment the room does dual duty as a workout room & hand tool shop.

243210AC-E3C3-4B49-98B3-BA49125B112E.jpg

26A18E38-1D9E-4E77-BC95-21F37A994CB6.jpg

F896EA7E-2530-432B-96DF-B1437EA8D3CD.jpg

CDC33A81-318A-4754-9B9C-75B6E0FD580E.jpg These are existing closets at the back end of the room. I just replaced the lights to get 1000 lm in each one. I put two existing cabinets in them. I plan to adapt the top areas to hold hand planes and hand saws...The cabinets may hold chisels....

I also have a single car garage out the door to the above room:
    70E405AE-1376-4CEE-8221-DD6C9FD1F3B8.jpg The door on the right hand of picture goes into the room above.
    The shelving is 6’tall x15’.

97E0C96A-8D63-4F31-A469-9B9DCEBEA714.jpg

The framing on this wall will hold StoreWall, a product that can hold tools, cabinets....There are some hanging hooks, racks etc. to the left of the dog crate.

DD322C9F-4894-4A56-84C1-8FC501CDC595.jpg

This is the mobile bench designed for use in this room. It is a Noden Adjust A Bench. The “top” is designed to have replaceable tops: foam, plastic/rubber, plywood, MDF....The sink in the back of the room will get replaced with something more like a kitchen sink, which I happen to have.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-20-2019 at 1:04 PM.

Mike,
    Looks like a good start so far, you just have to remove all the clothes driers/hangers first!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Assuming you are mentioning the poles for hanging clothes still in the closets. I am thinking about moving the top shelf to an acute angle, so hand planes can be stored there. I may hang hand saws from pegs on the sides of the closet next to the cabinets.

Looks like your shop is coming together nicely. Your comment about the slop sink got my attention. I wouldn't trade mine for any other style. I don't worry about what gets cleaned in it and the depth is great for containing splashing and accommodating bigger items. They also clean up easily. I recently put a hand-spray faucet on mine. It could use a tray attachment for setting items aside.

Is the Noden bench pretty stable under the force of a hand plane or saw? The mobility is a big plus.

I was going to comment on the sink as well. If it was me it would stay for the reasons Mike B already listed. Good for you getting to increase your shop space!

Mike,
    No, I was thinking of the exercise equipment.
    A friend of mine bought his wife an exercycle, she put 11 miles on it and then it was used as a clothes hangar.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Bruce, got your drift now. My wife road the one I bought her for a few months. I have used it, or one of my mountain or hybrid bikes twice a week or more for years...I use the eliptical trainer often too. I have a couple benches & weights in my room that see regular use too. They may see less use if I get the rower working again.

396CAB28-422C-4992-BAA9-1F12B280FFAE.jpg

The above is the composite sink I have, which I think will hold up to heavy use better. The support system on the existing one and the thin plastic may not hold up to washing small dogs, feeding dogs......There is usually a large “horse” bucket in that sink, full of dog bowls, water & soap. I do plan to use a sprayer. Usually kitchen type sinks have larger drain systems, catch baskets. The current one has a small 1+” drain in it. I just replaced the screen. It fills up in a single use. I have Formica counter top, treated lumber & tongue & groove boards, removed from another location, which I hope to make a more sturdy support system from.

Mike I have plans to add more weight to the Noden AAB. Ken has me excited about building a movable Moravian bench too. Sooo many projects....
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-21-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Nice place!
    That comfy reclining bicycle exerciser could almost work as a modern shave horse or some other sort of man powered woodworking tool

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Bruce, got your drift now. My wife road the one I bought her for a few months. I have used it, or one of my mountain or hybrid bikes twice a week or more for years...I use the eliptical trainer often too. I have a couple benches & weights in my room that see regular use too. They may see less use if I get the rower working again.

396CAB28-422C-4992-BAA9-1F12B280FFAE.jpg

The above is the composite sink I have, which I think will hold up to heavy use better. The support system on the existing one and the thin plastic may not hold up to washing small dogs, feeding dogs......There is usually a large “horse” bucket in that sink, full of dog bowls, water & soap. I do plan to use a sprayer. Usually kitchen type sinks have larger drain systems, catch baskets. The current one has a small 1+” drain in it. I just replaced the screen. It fills up in a single use. I have Formica counter top, treated lumber & tongue & groove boards, removed from another location, which I hope to make a more sturdy support system from.

Mike I have plans to add more weight to the Noden AAB. Ken has me excited about building a movable Moravian bench too. Sooo many projects....
    Mike,

That would be my first project .

ken

P.S. Good to see the new shop coming together.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ken,
    The wood I have for building the new MORAVIAN bench is still at the home in Milton, GA. It has been raining so much I have not had a decent day or two to get it moved to the new place. I have a good selection of wood I bought a few years ago: European Birch, Ash, even a little “South American Rosewood”. I bought the wood on sale and stored it.

I just installed a 240 outlet, just below the Circuit Breaker panel, in the picture of the garage. That outlet is to run my Laguna Band Saw, which I plan to use to saw up the lumber I have. The small garage will be for machines. There is a deck, with roof, just outside the garage door. My idea being, I will roll machines out under the deck, outside, preventing the need for dust control.

I am so surprised that Ken would take this opportunity to encourage more people to build Moravian Benches!
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-22-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Trying to make this shop as energy efficient as possible. I found these lights on Amazon. They screw into simple 60W outlets, making them replaceable, although these came with a 2 year warranty. They are suppose to put out 6000 lm from the simple 60W outlet. The three panels move in & out, allowing for a certain amount of directing of the light. They even come in a 80W version that is suppose to put out 8000 lm.

The areas around the actual LEDs are aluminum and function as radiators to cool the LEDs. Hoping these will replace older fluorescent type bulbs. I hate changing light bulbs!

3B7657DF-E4C4-4394-B3BD-5F86A9EADAF4.jpg

7878FD2B-C4BD-492F-B35F-B7EC7CC6BF25.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-22-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Still working on the shave horse next to the Eliptical Trainer. Maybe a pedal powered band saw would work? I could exercise & cut wood at the same time. Maybe a pedal powered lathe.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Still working on the shave horse next to the Eliptical Trainer. Maybe a pedal powered band saw would work? I could exercise & cut wood at the same time. Maybe a pedal powered lathe.....
    Many ways to make a pedal powered lathe.

For the band saw you may want to look into what is called a walking beam saw:

http://eriklyon.com/treadlesaw.htm

There are many different ways of making this type of saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)