Thread: Khaya Tool Cabinet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Really well done. If I read between the lines and assume your young taking woodworking, good for you! It’s a great skill you will enjoy for a long time. Look forward to more of your posts.

If I was a tool that is the kind of cabinet I would want to be in. Very nice.

Welcome to the Creek Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    That's really beautiful, nice job on everything. I like your choice of pulls.

Help educate me please - is Khaya the same as what is commonly called African Mahogany in many places?
    Thanks for sharing,

Edwin
    yep, this is african mahogany. incredibly reactive lol. dont think ill be using it again on anything less than 1" thick, it just skis and bows wayy too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Really well done. If I read between the lines and assume your young taking woodworking, good for you! It’s a great skill you will enjoy for a long time. Look forward to more of your posts.
    thanks! yah i went to college for art and sculpture so im familiar with the tools but never learned any actual fine woodworking or furniture building. its been quite the fun experience.

thanks for all the kind words!

Beautiful wood and beautiful work.
    Charlie Jones

Blog Entries
    Very nice; has a majestic feel due to proportions . Sure to be a joy for life. I have had lively mahogany, as well as some that is better behaved. Don't let one batch sour you on the material. I find sapele very stable but, have had others post that they got a reactive batch. Finding a supplier that processes the material correctly from tree to stock will help you with that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Christopher, yes African "mahogany " is fake mahogany. Terrible stuff that is seldom a money saver. But the real stuff is
    a real delight to use and own.

Very nicely done with the eye of an artist. Looking forward to seeing more products. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Christopher, yes African "mahogany " is fake mahogany. Terrible stuff that is seldom a money saver. But the real stuff is
    a real delight to use and own.
    Just for clarity:

Overview of Mahogany.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    What kind of class are you taking?

I've looked into classes on and off. As someone living in the mountain west, it seems I'll have to trek out to the west coast or east coast to take a two week course some time. I have a Studio Furniture book I use for inspiration that covers a really cool furniture class taught to architecture students at University of Washington. Man, it makes me want to quit my job and really learn this stuff from a master...

The cabinet looks great!

Cheers,

its a cabinetmaking/furniture building class. a year long thing at like a vocational school near me. i think its absolutely awesome. highly recommend it

Somewhat similar experiences with African Mahogany. I used it once on a chair project, and probably wont use it again. Sapele is less expensive in my area, has better/richer color(to me, atleast), works better, and is typically more stable.

Great cabinet! Update with photos once you have your tools in it. Im about to redo my tool storage and redo the space under my roubo/workbench to be a cabinet holding my planes, squares, gauges, chisels, and other assorted hand tools.

Really nice cabinet. What finish schedule did you follow? Did you use anything like Transtint?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    Really nice cabinet. What finish schedule did you follow? Did you use anything like Transtint?
    used 5 coats of teak oil with wet sanding inbetween, then zinnser seal coat, and two coats of wipe on poly

14. Looks awesome!