Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Khaya Tool Cabinet

Khaya Tool Cabinet

Hi,
    Just thought id post up pics of my recently finished tool cabinet. In a class and this was one of the first things i actually really liked and bothered to choose my own wood and actually use a finish on. man that khaya is a reactive wood. had to recut and patch pieces constantly because it would ski or bow after planing to thickness. inside door is closed with magnets behind the edge banding on the shelves with a strip of steel in the side. Doors also have magnets at the top and magnets in the stop block. center panel of the door is sapele and the bottoms of the drawers are 1/4" sapele ply. Khaya plywood and solid for the rest

Last edited by christopher ding; 03-19-2019 at 7:58 PM.

Beautiful cabinet!
    Welcome to the Creek. Hope to see more of your work.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful Work Christopher! Is the rest of the shop that classy?

Welcome to SawMill Creek
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

haha thanks, its a school shop but it is pretty nice!

wow - beautiful. You're making my shop feel very shabby and self conscious. Nice work. Look forward to seeing more.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Hi,
    That's really beautiful, nice job on everything. I like your choice of pulls.

Help educate me please - is Khaya the same as what is commonly called African Mahogany in many places?
    Thanks for sharing,

Edwin

If that cabinet doesn't put a smile on your face every time you walk in the shop then you are carrying way too many troubles. What a beautiful tool cabinet. Enjoy it. Very well done!!!

Really well done. If I read between the lines and assume your young taking woodworking, good for you! It’s a great skill you will enjoy for a long time. Look forward to more of your posts.

If I was a tool that is the kind of cabinet I would want to be in. Very nice.

Welcome to the Creek Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    That's really beautiful, nice job on everything. I like your choice of pulls.

Help educate me please - is Khaya the same as what is commonly called African Mahogany in many places?
    Thanks for sharing,

Edwin
    yep, this is african mahogany. incredibly reactive lol. dont think ill be using it again on anything less than 1" thick, it just skis and bows wayy too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Really well done. If I read between the lines and assume your young taking woodworking, good for you! It’s a great skill you will enjoy for a long time. Look forward to more of your posts.
    thanks! yah i went to college for art and sculpture so im familiar with the tools but never learned any actual fine woodworking or furniture building. its been quite the fun experience.

thanks for all the kind words!

Beautiful wood and beautiful work.
    Charlie Jones

Blog Entries
    Very nice; has a majestic feel due to proportions . Sure to be a joy for life. I have had lively mahogany, as well as some that is better behaved. Don't let one batch sour you on the material. I find sapele very stable but, have had others post that they got a reactive batch. Finding a supplier that processes the material correctly from tree to stock will help you with that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Christopher, yes African "mahogany " is fake mahogany. Terrible stuff that is seldom a money saver. But the real stuff is
    a real delight to use and own.

Very nicely done with the eye of an artist. Looking forward to seeing more products. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Christopher, yes African "mahogany " is fake mahogany. Terrible stuff that is seldom a money saver. But the real stuff is
    a real delight to use and own.
    Just for clarity:

Overview of Mahogany.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler