Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wooden bandsaw project

I have finally gotten to the point of having a working saw.
    To start with I am using a low cost Starret 133"x3/4" 3TPI skip-tooth blade.

I have nothing to compare too as I don't own another band saw and have not used one for wood since high school ~35 years ago.
    That being said, I am very happy with the few test cuts I have been making.

Going by the compression of the die spring I am using for blade tension, I am using ~20,000 PSI which is the Starret's recommended for this blade. I also verified the tension using a guitar tuner app and measuring the frequency of the tone produced by the blade when plucked.

I was curious just how bad the deflection of the frame would be with this tension so I performed a simple experiment.
    1. I tension-ed the blade to 20000 PSI
    2. I placed a thin piece of wood flat on the surface of the table.
    3. Lowered the blade guide down to the point it was just touching the thin wood on the table surface and lined up 90deg corner of the blade guide with a 90deg corner of the wood.
    4. i slowly released tension on the blade to the point the blade was just going slack.
    6. i measured the distance in the X, Y, and Z plane that the blade guide corner and thin wood corner moved away from each other.

There was no movement I could measure in the X and Y plane (horizontal). I measured less than 1/32" deflection in the Z plane (vertical).
    I am very surprised the deflection is that small.

What this doesn't tell me is what the long term movement would be if I were to leave the blade under tension. I suspect that is where the real disadvantage of wood is as compared to steel. In any case, I plan on releasing tension when not in use.

Some things I still plan on doing:
    1. make a fence
    2. Add some kind of blade brush to reduce sawdust buildup on the wheels. I suspect the softish gorilla tape makes this worse.
    3. Replace the castors with larger ones. The ones I am using right now are some that I had just laying around. I move the saw by leaning it back on to the castors.
    4. Add the work light. I have the box in place for one, but haven't wired it up yet.

I have no doubt I will be tinkering for some time.

All the bits and pieces

20190907_165335.jpg

Working condition
    20190908_175752.jpg20190908_175855.jpg20190908_175906.jpg20190908_180006.jpg20190908_175954.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 09-08-2019 at 8:06 PM.

Looks like you are close to saw dust. What size blade will it use?

Excellent job and I am truly impressed.

Added a simple lower wheel brush. It does help prevent buildup on both the wheel and the blade.
    20191006_140053.jpg

Added a fence. I was pondering a more elaborate fence with a front rail, but decided to keep it very simple by having it clamp across the width of the table. To allow a simple clamp mechanism, I placed the "T" square on the far end of the fence. I wasn't sure how convenient this would be at first, but after building it I have found it very easy to use and like the simplicity. I'll eventually build a tall fence dedicated to resawing.
    20191006_140309.jpg20191006_140318.jpg

I added a large handle to the backbone. I find it helps a lot when I lean the saw back to move it around on the castors.
    I also added some small "French Cleats" to stow the fence when not in use.
    20191006_140535.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Excellent job and I am truly impressed.
    Same here, it's art in machinery.

Well done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It's been a little over a year since I started using the band saw. I has seen use on a number of projects.
    In that time, it has exceeded my expectations. Granted my expectations were not terribly high to start with, but the saw has done everything I have asked of it.

So far, the gorilla tape wheel liners have held up very well. The one annoyance is that they like to pick up and hold dust. I can see how a harder material would do better in this regard.

Not too many changes have occurred.
    I did modify the tension adjustment wheel. I found the existing one cumbersome to turn to high tension. The new one isn't as nice looking but is much easier to turn.
    I added a tension 'gauge' or marker of sorts. Honestly, I never use it though. I have found I can judge tension quite well with the force I apply to the tension adjust handles now that I made them larger.
    I switched to a 'snake' light that I can direct more where needed. I already had it laying around so no new purchase.

20201025_152714.jpg20201025_152641.jpg

Jeff, that is one impressive creation! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Awesome, I am glad it worked out for you.

Of course, if it didn't work out it could have made a very nice artsy floor lamp for the house.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Great job. Thanks for sharing

Mostly, I wanted to say what a great project. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Also, I wanted to suggest you stay away from sheet aluminum for the table. I painstaking made a router table with aluminum. It was only OK. The problem was unless you kept it highly polished it would stain most wood. I scrapped it for a melamine top. Some day I might replace it with laminate but for now this works well and is holding up better than expected.

The project is really great. Keep posting as it is interesting to folow the process.