Thread: epoxy for filling cracks, voids

epoxy for filling cracks, voids

Is JB Clear Weld an acceptable solution for spot filling small cracks or voids? I have a cutting board with a pretty knot that i'd like to fill in without having to mix a 2 part epoxy.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-Clea...l%2C197&sr=1-4

That looks like two part epoxy to me. I use two part all the time to cover cracks and knots. Most often with a little stain mixed in to make it match the darker area of the knot..

Yes that is two part epoxy and will work fine. Best to warm up the two parts before mixing - it will flow/mix better and have fewer bubbles.
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 03-20-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett Ostroff View Post
    Yes that is two part epoxy and will work fine. Best to warm up the two parts before mixing - it will flow/mix better and have fewer bubbles.
    I agree. You need to get the epoxy to flow into the crack or when you're processing the board you may find open gaps. I also use a toothpick to try to force the glue down into the cracks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Getting some syringes and if you can either needles or other injector tips helps. Farm supply stores (Orschlins, TSC, etc) often have nice large syringes and plastic injector tips, used for large animal medicines. Not sure you could easily get the epoxy (warmed or not) through fine needles.

The occasional times I do use dyed epoxy for filling voids I try to get the stuff with longer open times.

Side note, one time I tried grinding up coffee to a very fine powder and using that as my colorant with walnut. Worked pretty well. Think I read about that trick here. Was batching out some quick and dirty clipboards made from left over (read that as rejected) walnut that was full of defects.

Another time I used pencil graphite. Also worked but a bit messier. Obviously different colors, brownish versus grayish.

p.s.
    Here's a link for a livestock catheter syringe :
    https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/liv...107346435.html

And turns out while searching for this on the Orscheln web site, they also have scalpels which are quite useful to keep around for various woodworking tasks that require narrow kerf cuts.
    Last edited by Rob Young; 03-22-2019 at 9:53 AM. Reason: link added for example
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.