Thread: Laser Cutting MDF - Related Issues

Laser Cutting MDF - Related Issues

I've not cut mdf on my machine as of yet and started doing a little reading on the subject. Is sourcing MDF an issue, as it relates to resin used, formaldehyde, other possible toxicity/production issues? Looking for a reliable source for 1/8 and 1/4 inch material, which could be the Lowes down the street unless you point me in another direction. Thanks in advance for your comments and any thoughts you have on cutting and settings.
    Trotec Speedy 300 80 Watt w/ Rotary
    Trotec Job Control Software
    Graphtec CE500-60 24 inch Vinyl cutter
    3 - Tajima TFMX-C1501 Single Head Embroidery Machines
    Tajima Pulse software Version 14 Illustrator Extreme
    Corel X4 & X7 Suite
    Howard Model 45Hot Stamping Machine
    Assorted Heat presses/Cap presses

You want tempered hardboard, not MDF or the brown stuff at Lowes. I get mine from DSI - a cabinetmakers supply distributor of mainly plywoods. Duron Hardboard is much denser than the stuff at lowes, stronger, less prone to damage. If thats not a concern, and convenience is what you want then the Lowes stuff is ok. I never bothered to concern with toxicity because I have full vac to outside building, and keep vac running after cutting to exhaust room. AS to settings, everyones laser is different, and experienced pros always run quick settings tests rather than ask for suggested settings. Simply run different speed / power settings til it just cuts through nice at speed you want on test pcs before running the final program.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.