Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new shop vac

Need new shop vac

My old shop vac has finally died on me. One thing I liked about this was the cloth filter bag it used as a prefilter. I would dump out the contents, shake the bag outdoors and continue on with the occasional blowing out of the paper filter. I am looking at the Fein Turbo II and see it uses paper bags for the content. Before I purchase this item, any thoughts on a better shop vac. I hate to have to stock paper bags but know it is not a big deal. One note, I use this 99% of the time for my mitre saw.

Ive been using a festool ct26 with the ultimate dust deputy. And its been really good for me im on the original bag after 3 years. It is hooked up to miter saw but i use it for all sanders/track saw/domino/etc.

I also use a Festool Ct26 with a dust deputy, works great............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I also use a Festool Ct26 with a dust deputy, works great............Rod.
    I have this hooked up with the boom arm and use it for sanding. Great set up.

Blog Entries
    I have an older model of the Fein Turbo II and like how quiet it is and the facts that you can adjust the speed and that it can turn on when you plug in a power tool and run that tool.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've had a Festool CT22 for about 15 years. Still runs like new. I'd replace it with a CT26 if it was to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have an older model of the Fein Turbo II and like how quiet it is and the facts that you can adjust the speed and that it can turn on when you plug in a power tool and run that tool.
    The new Fein vacs are completely different than the older ones. Made by a different company in a different country. No more variable suction is the big issue if you want to use with sanders.

I've been using one of the newer Feins for a couple of years, no problems. No variable speed on the vac, but I control that when necessary by adjusting a variable air vent on the hose I use. Very quiet and plenty of power.

What ever vac you get, you should think hard about a Dust Deputy (or similar). I'm still using the original bag and filter on my Fein, guessing you'd see the same on any vac you use.

I have used a old Fein as my miter saw vac. If I remember to replace the bag every 4 months all is well. I use a Fein1 as my shop vac. It has that nice flat place on top that is perfect for mounting the smaller Oneida dust deputy. With a bit of plastic pipe it wotks great and in several years I have yet to get anything into the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I've been using one of the newer Feins for a couple of years, no problems. No variable speed on the vac, but I control that when necessary by adjusting a variable air vent on the hose I use. Very quiet and plenty of power.

What ever vac you get, you should think hard about a Dust Deputy (or similar). I'm still using the original bag and filter on my Fein, guessing you'd see the same on any vac you use.
    +1 for everything Nick said.

I have an older (~15 yrs?) Fein and like it a lot, especially how quiet it is.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Ive been using a festool ct26 with the ultimate dust deputy. And its been really good for me im on the original bag after 3 years. It is hooked up to miter saw but i use it for all sanders/track saw/domino/etc.
    I have the Festool CT48. It's slightly more expensive than the CT26, and the bags are slightly more expensive, but it's also twice the size (as are the bags) which makes it substantially more economical to operate.

FWIW, a CT48 alone is significantly smaller and less awkward than the CT26 + Dust Deputy assemblage, if you care about portability.

There is a very good head-to-head comparison of a gaggle of "leading" shop vacs here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OTFdvp000
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-19-2019 at 5:08 PM.

I have a cheap shop vac I bought from Lowe’s. It’s really terrible very load not good suction. The hose is short and not very flexible.
    I have connected to my Bosch glide I keep telling myself it’s better then nothing.
    Aj

I have several of the old Feins, not the new square ones, and a Festool midi that works very well. My favorite cheap shop vac is the Ridgid 1450. It doesn't turn on when the tool plugged in is activated. It can be a semi-HEPA vac with a Cleanstream filter addition. The Ridgid Pro Hose is a nice upgrade. We buy a half dozen a year. We get 3-6 months life out of them in an industrial environment with the occasional failure in a short time. We can usually get them to honor their scam-ish "lifetime" warranty if they fail in a couple months. Lifetime warranty probably works OK for hobby use.

While I also have a Festool extractor, it's not used for shop cleanup. I have an inexpensive Ridgid shop vac for cleanup purposes. It's messy to dump for sure, but I do that outside at the trash can and make sure I stand up-wind.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...