Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need new shop vac

My old Fein gave up a couple years ago and I was left with the older Festool. I have been using the Festool for all around and know that I need to get a beater and limit the use of the FT. Picking the right secondary vac is incredibly confusing. FT and Fein are the leaders of the pack, but what secondary units are best?

Ireplaced a Fein with the Festool CT26E. They are fairly similar - both have automatic power and variable speed - but the Festool is easier to store (the Fein is an awkward shape), a little more powerful and a little quieter. I like the stackability of the Festool as I have Dust Commander on top, and the power source for a Mirka Ceros inside the tool bay. Note that the Festool is more expensive than the Fein.

The Dust Commander is excellent - as good or better than a Dust Deputy (had one before). The Festool also has a long-life bag rather than the paper replacements. I have not yet needed to empty it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    There is a very good head-to-head comparison of a gaggle of "leading" shop vacs here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OTFdvp000
    Thanks Doug for sharing this. The article that goes with the video is much denser with information and I found it useful, but it is missing one critical measurement, how effective the vacuums are at removing the lung-clogging fine particles from the exhaust air.

FWIW, I have a couple Festool vacs for sanding/mitre saw and a tiny Rigid.

In the past I blew my shop out with a leaf blower. That practice stopped when I purchased an air quality meter. Now I have two overhead air filters and carefully vacuum at the end of the day. I'm having so much fun in the shop I don't want it to end prematurely due to dust related health issues.

I added a HEPA filter and a new hose to the small Rigid shop vac, which about doubled the total cost of the Rigid vac. IMO, the stock black plastic Rigid hoses are horrible. The orange replacement hoses are much better quality.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I also have a Festool extractor, it's not used for shop cleanup. I have an inexpensive Ridgid shop vac for cleanup purposes. It's messy to dump for sure, but I do that outside at the trash can and make sure I stand up-wind.
    Same here. I think its a good idea to have a standard shop vac in addition to a higher quality unit for collecting tools. No experience with Fein, but the Festool extractor does an excellent job.

For the shop vac, I highly recommend a cyclone and make a cart. I use it for cleaning the shop as well as collecting router and miter saw. Even with cyclone, I use a HEPA filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    ... I like the stackability of the Festool as I have Dust Commander on top, and the power source for a Mirka Ceros inside the tool bay.
    FWIW, after a long sanding session I'd be curious how hot the Ceros power supply is in this seemingly contained space. I'm slightly paranoid about premature electronics failure due to operating at a higher-than-designed temperature.
    Mark McFarlane

Mark, so far I have only had one serious session of sanding with the Ceros. This lasted about 10 or 15 minutes. There was no change in the temperature of the power supply.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It would be relatively easy to put a small exhaust fan in there to help move cooling air through if you find it necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mark, so far I have only had one serious session of sanding with the Ceros. This lasted about 10 or 15 minutes. There was no change in the temperature of the power supply.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Glad you had checked. As I said, I am paranoid about heat and electronics. Been bit before. Even some 1/2" holes in the sides, and then in the top right over power supply would allow convection to do some work.
    Mark McFarlane

I'm on my second Fein II, first one lasted 13 years, on about year 7 on my second one. I have a small cyclone Dust Deputy hooked up in line so I don't have to replace bags, just dump out the 5 gallon bucket occasionally. Very happy with the set up. Randy
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 03-20-2019 at 9:07 PM.

After my dad gave me his Shop Smith DC I stopped using my too big shop vac. I have been using the SS for the table saw, sander, track saw, and router. I have considered getting something small like a Festool so I can move it around the garage easier and then get rid of the shop vac. The only thing I really use the shop vac for now is the car, and I guess the Festool can do that a few times a year. I need to get a dust deputy too.

I like my Bosch VAC090. Quiet, reusable cloth bag, HEPA filter, switched outlet included, big wheels so it rolls easily, cheaper than the green ones.

I also have one of the older Fein Turbo II's and really like it. I have heard mixed reviews on the new model Turbo II, but it seems as if the comments here are favorable toward it.
    I know this next comment might seem a little "low rent", but if you haven't checked out the new Rigid's, you should. Rigid has made some pretty significant improvements to their Vac's over the last few years. Specifically in the noise levels. I have an older Rigid "screamer" that I'm waiting on it to die, so I can buy a new one.
    The "new"Rigid's are 1/4 the cost of a new Fein, or Festool, which leaves $$$$ left over to buy the Dust Deputy.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)