Thread: Insects in wood

Insects in wood

Hi, I bought some slabs that were kiln dried but not perfectly. When I removed the bark there were quite many dried "caterpillars" that are white when alive. I have cleaned the surface of the edge and it seems safe but I'm worried because there are some insect holes going deeper into the wood and the center of the wood is probably not properly dried. I remember reading here that I can inject something into the holes to make sure that if something is inside it will die. Is there some substance that is available to buy in regular shops? I'm not in USA and I'm afraid that professional products wont be available.

Suggest you try alcohol. Wood alcohol {ethyl???} or otherwise some type of high content alcohol {methyl??} will definitely do it. I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol {isopropyl} though, it has a lot of water in it. Not that it would hurt the slabs,but after having them kiln dried you probably don't want to add more water back into them. You never know with alcohol though, if you can pour some out and light it and it burns you are okay.
    Carburetor cleaner {if you can get it} will do it too. It has a little tube you can jam right in the bug hole and spray. Honestly though, if it was kiln dried I don't see too many bugs making it thru that...most insects and other animals that get in wood cannot stand the dryness.
    Last edited by Martin Siebert; 03-19-2019 at 7:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Siebert View Post
    Suggest you try alcohol. Wood alcohol {ethyl???} or otherwise some type of high content alcohol {methyl??} will definitely do it. I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol {isopropyl} though, it has a lot of water in it. Not that it would hurt the slabs,but after having them kiln dried you probably don't want to add more water back into them. You never know with alcohol though, if you can pour some out and light it and it burns you are okay.
    Carburetor cleaner {if you can get it} will do it too. It has a little tube you can jam right in the bug hole and spray. Honestly though, if it was kiln dried I don't see too many bugs making it thru that...most insects and other animals that get in wood cannot stand the dryness.
    Thank you, I will try. I hope they're all gone but after cutting the ends of the slabs it seems that it didn't dry perfectly in the core so I don't want any risk. Remember some user saying how insects were still living inside after finishing the table

The secret to kiln drying is sterilization. It involves heating the wood up to over 135f and keeping it there for a few hours to make sure all bugs are killed.

Be careful with the insects, especially about bringing the wood inside your home. About 35 years ago I heard a sound like a drill coming from a joist in my basement while i was working on a project. also saw some what appeared to be moths flying around earlier that month in the basement. Turns out the house had wood borers called flatheaded borers if my memory serves me right. They had infested about 5 of the 2x10's. I used Methoxychlor but that is banned. As Jim said sterilization is the key. incidentally the home was built in 1958 and the basement was very dry. I'd throw the wood out if it were my decision.

If it is just one board, you might make a box from styrofoam, put a trouble light with a light bulb that creates heat inside, and put the board in there. Will build up a lot of heat if well sealed. You might search "heat box". I have killed bugs in wood by putting them in an old metal grainery during the summer. Gets hot enough to sterilize with just a few boards inside.

Filip, what species of wood and how thick is it?