Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baileigh table saw

baileigh table saw

has anyone had any experience with a baileigh table saw,,there entry hybrid table saw starts at about 1500.00,,can anyone give me some info on this saw,,,

I can't comment on their hybrid saw but I do own one of their 3HP cabinet saws. I've had it for almost a year now and have been very pleased with it. All of the components are IMO very high quality. Assembly was very straight forward with no issues to speak of. Before I purchased my saw I had the opportunity to visit their showroom in WI. I was impressed with the stoutness of their products, i.e. table saws, jointers, bandsaws and their metal working tools.

Isn't it exactly the same as Grizzly? Both are machine importers, just different color paint.

I don't think it is correct to assume that Baleigh and Grizzly tools are identical or even similar just because they are made in Taiwan or China.

can't comment on the TS, but I have the bench top mortiser and have been very pleased with it. Solid, well made. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. Only flaw is the plastic depth stops.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I don't think it is correct to assume that Baleigh and Grizzly tools are identical or even similar just because they are made in Taiwan or China.
    I think it's assumed because the stickers and the paint are amongst the largest differences.

Maybe not identical, but Geetech manufacturers for both of them.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 4.59.58 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Maybe not identical, but Geetech manufacturers for both of them.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 4.59.58 PM.png
    I also see SawStop, Jet, and Powermatic listed there, not sure what point you're trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    I also see SawStop, Jet, and Powermatic listed there, not sure what point you're trying to make.
    That being made in Asia isn't the only coincidence?

Machines from the same factory can be almost the same or quite different. The hard part is getting an answer without tearing them apart and comparing. Different grades of castings can be spec'd, better grinds, tighter tolerances, different bearings, motors, sheaves, and electricals. It would be good to be a fly on the wall to see what really happens on the line. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    My sub discussion was about the similarity between Grizzly and Baileigh. It was questioned how I can say that just because they just come from Taiwan or China. My point with this post is that the machinery is not just made in Taiwan or China, they are made by the same company.

Tools are manufactured according to specifications from the company. Baleigh and Grizzly are not the same company. I don't know about Baleigh but Grizzly claims to design at least some of their own tools. If that is true, the company they are made by or factory they are made in is irrelevant for purposes of this side discussion. As someone pointed out, some Powermatic tools are made in the same factory as some Grizzly tools. It is not reasonable to assume Grizzly and Powermatic tools are identical.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-20-2019 at 7:44 PM.

[QUOTE=Art Mann;2910501
    It is not reasonable to assume Grizzly and Powermatic tools are identical.[/QUOTE]

When they sell the same exact thing I'd say maybe not identical, but close enough.

After foolishly buying a four post planer "made" by powermatic, I don't know why you wouldn't just go ahead and get the grizzly

Are you sure Powermatic and Grizzly are made to the same design and same quality standards? Pretty much all 4 post planers for the last 50 years look about the same.

Are you sure Powermatic and Grizzly are made to the same design and same quality standards? Pretty much all 4 post planers for the last 50 years look about the same.

Close enough? I've used both for extended periods, no appreciable difference that I noticed. The powermatic had a little better switches and handles/wheels, other than that they behaved the same and had the same issues. It's possible the powermatic received better bearings, but that really doesn't pay for the manufacturer to do that. Low paid employees are best given the fewest opportunities for failure as possible. The less changes in the manufacturers hands the more money they make too. That doesn't mean they aren't completely different, but it'd be a tough argument to make with me. It's a whole lot easier to build things to one specification.

For the machines that look identical, they probably are important on everything that matters. One off's are likely their own design, but most of it can be found in other importer's product catalogs with different paint and stickers.

I could be completely off base too, so I wouldn't say I'm sure.