Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: baileigh table saw

1. Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Close enough? I've used both for extended periods, no appreciable difference that I noticed. The powermatic had a little better switches and handles/wheels, other than that they behaved the same and had the same issues. It's possible the powermatic received better bearings, but that really doesn't pay for the manufacturer to do that. Low paid employees are best given the fewest opportunities for failure as possible. The less changes in the manufacturers hands the more money they make too. That doesn't mean they aren't completely different, but it'd be a tough argument to make with me. It's a whole lot easier to build things to one specification.

For the machines that look identical, they probably are important on everything that matters. One off's are likely their own design, but most of it can be found in other importer's product catalogs with different paint and stickers.

I could be completely off base too, so I wouldn't say I'm sure.
    Obviously I know a lot more about this issue than probably anyone on this site, having been importing WW machines from Taiwan well before Jet, Powermatic, Baleigh, Laguna or most other current importers of machines have been. It is a misconception that you are getting a better machine because you are paying more. Most of the price difference comes from the fact that most of the companies are two stepping the product (selling through dealers) rather than selling direct, like Grizzly has always done.

Yes, we all specify our colors, switches, casters, nameplates etc. However, you do not get different bearings in WW machines, than the standard good bearings that the supplier uses. You do not get a certain type of casting - that is a ridiculous notion. Most of the companies source the castings from casting suppliers that have minimum runs and long lead times. Can you even imagine the "cluster" it would be if a company had special castings specified for 30 or so machines at a time, and how the factory would even keep track of something like that?

The main difference comes in the quality control. We have an office in Taiwan with our own QC engineers that go everyday to the factories and perform a variety of QC checks, usually several pages on the checklist, per model, to make sure that things that cropped up in the past are no longer repeated. We check the parts as they come in and during assembly and then after final assembly to make sure. We even check shipments when they arrive here to make sure there are no issues before we ship them to customers. Even then, once in a while, stuff might get by because of the sheer volume (we ship tens of thousands of pounds of machines every single day, and have sold more WW machines in USA than any other company in the last 30 years. The bottom line is that when buying a Grizzly machine, you get a really good value for the money, and all the experience behind us. We would not have grown if we sold junk - the society today, with all the social media access, is intolerant of bad quality and bad value. You will always have the naysayers and the elitists who are either stuck in the past, or look down upon anything not made in Europe.

Thank you Shiraz, for the first hand information. I appreciate knowing about some of the day to day workings in the industry.

PS: Really like my year old 623 slider. Easy to adjust.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Tools are manufactured according to specifications from the company. Baleigh and Grizzly are not the same company. I don't know about Baleigh but Grizzly claims to design at least some of their own tools. If that is true, the company they are made by or factory they are made in is irrelevant for purposes of this side discussion. As someone pointed out, some Powermatic tools are made in the same factory as some Grizzly tools. It is not reasonable to assume Grizzly and Powermatic tools are identical.
    Bingo. General Motors has been making Chevy trucks for some time, eh? This is not a new concept for Americans. Sometimes we need to step back and take a larger view.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sigh, consumer products built to a price point and life span.

Anybody remember what the OPs question was?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    Anybody remember what the OPs question was?
    He asked if one Asian company's saw was any different than the same saw from another Asian company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    It amazes me how threads can so easily get hijacked here sometimes.
    Is there a new thread on this, or am I the only one that chuckled at the irony?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Is there a new thread on this, or am I the only one that chuckled at the irony?
    No and No.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Obviously I know a lot more about this issue than probably anyone on this site, having been importing WW machines from Taiwan well before Jet, Powermatic, Baleigh, Laguna or most other current importers of machines have been. It is a misconception that you are getting a better machine because you are paying more. Most of the price difference comes from the fact that most of the companies are two stepping the product (selling through dealers) rather than selling direct, like Grizzly has always done.

Yes, we all specify our colors, switches, casters, nameplates etc. However, you do not get different bearings in WW machines, than the standard good bearings that the supplier uses. You do not get a certain type of casting - that is a ridiculous notion. Most of the companies source the castings from casting suppliers that have minimum runs and long lead times. Can you even imagine the "cluster" it would be if a company had special castings specified for 30 or so machines at a time, and how the factory would even keep track of something like that?

The main difference comes in the quality control. We have an office in Taiwan with our own QC engineers that go everyday to the factories and perform a variety of QC checks, usually several pages on the checklist, per model, to make sure that things that cropped up in the past are no longer repeated. We check the parts as they come in and during assembly and then after final assembly to make sure. We even check shipments when they arrive here to make sure there are no issues before we ship them to customers. Even then, once in a while, stuff might get by because of the sheer volume (we ship tens of thousands of pounds of machines every single day, and have sold more WW machines in USA than any other company in the last 30 years. The bottom line is that when buying a Grizzly machine, you get a really good value for the money, and all the experience behind us. We would not have grown if we sold junk - the society today, with all the social media access, is intolerant of bad quality and bad value. You will always have the naysayers and the elitists who are either stuck in the past, or look down upon anything not made in Europe.
    Thank you for this info
    I have been very happy with my past Grizzly purchases
    Ron

The machines might be manufactured in more than one plant with different quality suppliers depending on brand. Does anyone know if that is true? I am guessing that Chevy trucks are made in a number of locations perhaps in multiple countries now.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Bingo. General Motors has been making Chevy trucks for some time, eh? This is not a new concept for Americans. Sometimes we need to step back and take a larger view.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Sigh, consumer products built to a price point and life span.
    Agreed. I really prefer older Iron.