Thread: Power Tool Manufacturers and Who Really Owns Them

Power Tool Manufacturers and Who Really Owns Them

A couple of surprises for me.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    WOW- that was very enlightening. Thanks for sharing.

I watched it the other day. I was surprised that Hilti and Makita are still independent.

I think it's true of other industries too. Hard to get a clean play buying stocks for that reason. That's why my 403b is in low cost index funds.

My sister in law worked for Black and Decker and she kept me abreast of all the mergers in the industry some years ago.

I inherited some Danaher stock from my Mom. I was surprised it no longer makes hand tools. It used to make many hand tools for Craftsman and it owned Matco and Chicago Pneumatic, merged with Cooper tools. it sold off that part and now makes tools for medical use.
    She also had some Illinois Tool Works who own a bit of everthing including Miller and Hobart(both welders and mixers) , Permatex, Signode Carrier and others.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-19-2019 at 3:39 PM.

I didn't realize that Stanley had Irwin now. They used to be under Newell Rubbermaid, but it looks like they sold them and Lennox to Stanley in 2016.

No single tool company has done more to destroy a line of tools than Stanley - Black and Decker. Look at what B&D did to the Delta line, basically eliminated it. And cheapened the Porter Cable brand, to the level of B&D tools.