Thread: good video on adjusting spray gun

good video on adjusting spray gun

This guy is a little long winded, but if you go to about 10 minutes in, there is a great demonstration about adjusting the air pressure on a spray gun, and the effects it has on the surface finish.

This is also one of my favorite spray guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_56Ah0BnL0M

Thanks. I can really use this!

When I watch a video like that I wonder why HVLP systems don't have a pressure gauge. For example, if a Fuji 3 turbine produces 6.5 psi, a 4 turbine 8.0 psi, and a 5 turbine 9.5 psi, isn't it logically to assume there is an ideal psi setting for a given air cap size and material viscosity? Wouldn't a pressure gauge in conjunction with the hose valve be helpful? Or do I just not understand how to properly adjust a HVLP system?

Somewhere else in the video, there is a good explanation, with the fan shown spraying, about how to adjust the pressure for different fan widths. Sorry, I didn't note where it was in the video.

Also, sorry no answer for Jim's question about a turbine gun. I sold my good turbine setup some years ago, and it's on the list of things I've forgotten about. Hopefully, someone else can answer. Thinning exactness is more critical on turbine guns. These good guns, like in the video, give you much more control over everything.

Thanks for posting that video, Tom. Brilliant. The guy is slow but well worth listening to. I never knew you could find the sweet spot by listening to the feedback as you move your hand closer to the gun. I could hear it on the video but not with my own gun today. I'll have to do more testing. Thanks again.

John