Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drywall removal question

I use a sawzall on the edges then just start pulling it down in the biggest pieces possible. I use a short blade, most of the time a metal blade, on the sawzall.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I like Phillip's approach, 'start with a 1ft strip about chest high'. As he suggests, there is less wiring and plumbing at that height. Shorten your Sawzall blade to 'just enough' and you should miss all the wiring. But first, shut off all the electricity and run an extension cord from your neighbor's house to power your saw and lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barkelew View Post
    Don't do what they do on TV, grab a sledge and start swinging. I try to pull off drywall gently so the nails pull thru and get large pieces. I can usually get half a sheet or more off in one piece with minimal mess.
    This for sure. It makes me cringe to watch some diy show demolitions but I suppose they do it for drama. Sledge hammers flying. What could go wrong? Go carefully and you can remove huge pieces with little dust.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson