Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Cans - Engraving Issues

Ammo Cans - Engraving Issues

Just bought a Trotec laser 120 watt. When we engrave the ammo cans the residue stains the freshly engraved area. Our settings were Power 40/Speed 80. Any tips or tricks to fix this problem? We are new to laser engraving so any help is much appreciated. I attached a pic to show what I'm talking about. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Brill View Post
    Just bought a Trotec laser 120 watt. When we engrave the ammo cans the residue stains the freshly engraved area. Our settings were Power 40/Speed 80. Any tips or tricks to fix this problem? We are new to laser engraving so any help is much appreciated. I attached a pic to show what I'm talking about. Thank you!
    Cover with blue or whatever color masking tape and laser thru, it should help.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

[QUOTE=Bill George;2909894]Cover with blue or whatever color masking tape and laser thru, it should help.[/QUOT]

I don't think that will help as it is the area that is already engraved and the tape would be gone.

Search here for tips on cleaning up stainless steel tumblers. I am guessing the same methods will clean up your engraving.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

try some warm water and a red scotch brite. gently go over the engraved area.

What Bill is saying (I think) is that lasering through the tape will help get a cleaner engraving.

I've done a few ammo cans and when they look like that, just just wash them.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Chabot View Post
    try some warm water and a red scotch brite. gently go over the engraved area.

What Bill is saying (I think) is that lasering through the tape will help get a cleaner engraving.

I've done a few ammo cans and when they look like that, just just wash them.
    Bingo it saves cleaning up. Any type of abrasive cleaner and you will mar the paint, its not stainless.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks so much! I will try the masking tape and cleaning and see how it works. Appreciate the tips!
    Trotec Speedy 360 120 Watt

With all that power I would suggest two passes at lower power. The first one to do the bulk of the removal and the second one to clean up. I think you'll find very little left on the engraved area after the second pass. You could use denatured alcohol after that to clean up the painted area surrounding the engraved part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Brill View Post

Most lasers exhaust to the back and have default setting to engrave from back to front, so residues/smoke from current engraving gets swept back over previously engraved areas and can contaminate them like this. I frequently use Epilog's option to engrave from front to back to minimize/eliminate this sort of problem that is common with painted metal as well as engraving smoky woods. Trotec likely has a similar front-to-back option.

won't water rust the newly engraved area. I would try something like WD40

I would try Gary's method of two passes first.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I don't know how ammo cans are prepped before painting, but if they're treated with phosphoric acid prior to painting, and it's quite likely they are, the steel under the paint will be almost black. Will a C02 laser remove the black color from steel? I don't know, never tried, BUT the black color is due to the iron oxide provided by the acid-- and since C02's are particularly good at removing color from ALUMINUM oxide, just to guess I'd say they'll also remove the color from iron oxide-

--this is all conjecture based on what I see in the pic, as the 'residue' appears to me to MAYBE be remnants of iron oxide the laser didn't get off in the first pass...

I guess one way to tell, would be to rub the center of that star with anything that would emulsify paint, such as xylene or acetone- if 10 seconds of either of those chemicals doesn't touch that residue, then odds are high it's iron oxide residue and not paint residue...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We just tried the front to back setting and did two passes and the result is so much better. It looks very good! Thanks for the tip

Thanks Gary! Two passes worked perfectly. That seemed to do the trick and then we used a magic eraser to get the little bit that's left off and it looks great. Appreciate all the help!

Buy the generic erasers on amazon...melamine sponge I think...works great for tumblers, cans, two-tone plastics and more.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01