Thread: Sawstop - 3-phase or single?

Sawstop - 3-phase or single?

The recent thread about a tablesaw accident has pushed me to look into getting a Sawstop.

I'm leaning towards the 5 hp single phase, 52" fence.

My question is whether there are big advantages to going with a 3-phase machine.

Right now I rent my workshop space, and it has a 3-phase panel, but I might be moving to another part of Los Angeles within the year, and there's no guarantee I'll have 3-phase where I move to.

My current saw is a single phase Unisaw, and it does fine. Plenty of my machines are 3-phase that I bought used, so when I bought them the type of motor wasn't really an issue that came into consideration.

I realize I will have to generate 3-phase somehow to continue to use these machines, whether using a VFD or a converter, but I'd like to consider the Sawstop separately from this.

My tablesaw gets moderate use - I'm a one-man show - so it might sit idle for much of the day, and when in use it can be run continuously for a period or can be on / off / on / off depending on what I'm working on.

thank you for any advice and insights, Mark

Is a better question whether or not you even need 5HP vs say 3HP? Either way I say stay single phase as youll be more "compatible" electrically wherever you go.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

3-phase machines may be slightly more efficient, be slightly more reliable (no centrifugal switch or capacitors), have slightly better power factor, and can use slightly smaller conductors. These advantages are much more profound at the scales of large industry, and are so small as to be almost theoretical when you're considering only a single, small machine.

The flexibility of being able to run from 1-phase is very valuable. The greater resale value, too, would certainly offset any minor advantages that 3-phase might have. Go with the single phase, for sure.

What the others said. I have a 5hp single phase. It runs fine. Small scale, I see no advantage getting a 3 phase.
    It's a good saw. The extra 2 hp was a small jump in price when I got mine. If you can, get the 5hp. Do you need it? Maybe not, but if you rip thick hardwood stock, it's handy. Probably not important cutting "regular" stuff.

I suggest get single phase and 5HP one.

Thanks all. Single phase it is.

Ben - I notice my Unisaw can struggle a little more ripping thicker hardwoods, so that's pointing me to the 5 hp.

based on what you say and past experience I would buy the 3 phase 7.5hp Industrial
    I own an ICS 5hp 1 phase due to no three phase available.
    3 phase no capacitors to go bad, no starting switch to cause trouble and larger motor available in 3 phase

I recently fixed my HP problem with a new blade.

My mid 80s PM 66 has a 5 hp single phase motor and it’s always waiting on me rather than me slowing my feed rate. I’d spring for the 5hp if it’s not a problem. You won’t ever Get an opportunity to regret it whereas there will be a time or two with the 3hp where you might say, “Dang, Wish I bought the 5hp.”

I’d also go with single phase for the sole reason of higher resale value.