Thread: Buying a new Band Saw

Buying a new Band Saw

I have been looking seriously at Jet band saws and am on the fence as to which one to go for. Choice is narrowed down to the 18" and 20" saws. The manual lists both saws as having a 16" resaw capacity. If that is the case why would anyone buy the 20" saw?

Generally, other than the throat size difference, the larger the bandsaw, the more tension it can put on a larger,thicker blade, and the higher the blade speed. So, for resawing, the larger the saw, the smoother, and faster the cut.

Is blade length different? Longer blade, more teeth, slightly longer life. Larger diameter wheels also puts less bending stress on the weld and blade, good idea for carbide tooth blade where longevity makes a difference. Should be a stiffer frame in the bigger saw.

Good points that I had not realized. Thanks for the input. The price difference is not all that great so I'm going for the 20". This also is quite likely to be my last band saw so might as well make it count.

Well i did it. Took delivery on a 20" Jet band saw. Nice saw except for one big disappointment,no brake! Dont know how I missed that detail it would certainly have been a factor in the buy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boehlke View Post
    Well i did it. Took delivery on a 20" Jet band saw. Nice saw except for one big disappointment,no brake! Dont know how I missed that detail it would certainly have been a factor in the buy decision.
    Congrats on the new toy. I went with different brand and it is scheduled to be delivered this Wednesday. Have fun with the new toy and stay safe!