Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

18 Mar 2019

Greetings,
    It's been another week of back pain and wrestling with what I can and can't do. I'm way past ready for this to be over and done with! I ordered a new back brace with hopes of the new brace working better than the 15 year old brace that I've had laying around all those years. The back brace appears to help with the pain, so we'll see.
    The framing work is done on the daughter's house and I'm going through things with them on the cabinet layout for their kitchen. We're going to build the cabinets but with my back, I guess I'll be supervising more than working. I sure hope not, because I love woodworking and I want my fingers in this "pie".

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sorry to hear this, Dennis. I've managed to get through almost all my 69 years without back pain. However the past 3 months I struggled with hip bursitis on one side (which made sleep more difficult) and then sciatica on the other. Both appear to have been a repetitive strain injury due to daily power walking (and no doubt my day job, which requires sitting and listening to others all day). It certainly gave me a small taste of what those with chronic back pain go through. Fortunately, mine responded to physiotherapist prescribed stretching, rest, and a gradual reintroduction to exercise. The last few days have been fairly painless. Not knowing the nature of your back injury, I trust that you have it under supervision, and that you have a plan in place. Back pain sucks. Take care.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dennis, So sorry to hear that you are still struggling with the back pain. We just built the last of the carcases for my son's kitchen remodel this weekend and completely understand that you want to be in the middle of the fray when building the cabinets for your daughter's house. I've been on the sit and supervise end of the stick way too much these last couple of years and hate it! Fortunately, at least for the moment, my strength is returning and I can spend 3 hours or so doing things in my workshop before I have to hit the recliner. Hope the new back brace helps.

Dennis
    i feel your pain. my L5/S1 disk is almost completely gone and have a couple more in bad shape. Had pain for over 30 years. Hope yours gets better!
    Here is what I got accomplished this weekend along with roughing out 6 more bowls and installing some kitchen cabinets at a friends house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

I got started on Stereo Speakers.
    033.jpg026.jpg038.jpg

Count me as a member of the back pain group. Mine comes from a fall, hmmm, 30 years ago when I was a carpenter. Scaffolding let go, and two of us dropped 20 feet. I ended up with a crushed vertebrae. Never had surgery, only thing done was therapy. Actually, the only time it bothers me is when I am inactive for a couple of days.

Anyway, back to projects. No projects to speak of this last week. Went to Las Vegas for the USBC Open Championships. As a team we are currently in 11th place. And as an individual, I am in the top 30 in singles and all events. BUT, the tournament goes until June...

Got home on Thursday, and spent a day cleaning the house. Then spent the weekend cleaning my shop. Tried out my new Waterstone and diamond plate. Now I need to work on a little Waterstone area for my sharpening table.

I was hoping your back would be feeling better by now, Dennis, but then again, it's likely "so were you". Darn...

I got back in the shop last week after a few days of downtime, did some cleaning and milled up some of the soft maple for the new commission. The latter unfortunately also included cleaning out my cyclone filter after I, um...failed to empty the bin soon enough. (time to make a sensor like in Larry's thread now stickied in Workshops!) On Sunday I decided to faddle a little in the shop rather than cut up some downed ash trees because of the brisk wind...I don't do well in cold these days...and fired up Stingzilla (as Dennis calls my CNC machine) with a scrap of HDU to make a drawer organizer for all my Centroec bits now that the collection has increased due to a buy from another 'Creeker for the drill bit sets. I suspect I'm now going to do more of these while working on the above mentioned commission since that work has no CNC elements and I can cut shop organization things while working on the paying job. Having that second "person" in the shop is pretty kewel sometimes, even if she is yellow and made of steel and aluminum.

IMG_E3986.jpg

Also have been "doing the dance" with working to sell my vehicle privately rather than just trading it on the new ride, but "Holy Scammers, Bat Man!"...unbelievable. At least I got one very serious inquiry and showing this morning that hopefully will go forward and I can be done with this. Selling stuff these days really bites with all the people/computers out there than just want to take people's money by subterfuge...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hope all you "backies" feel better. With me its the hands. Anyway, made some progress on the billiard chair. Got the back assembled and all the pieces except the legs finished. 2 more mortises and they can be finished and then the fun part - glue up. Not sure why my glue ups go bad - I can practice them 3 or 4 times, and as soon as the glue is out of the bottle, disaster.
    20190318_061259.jpg20190318_114754.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-18-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Been hurting with THREE kidney stones for over a month. Last Friday, 5:30 AM reported for day surgery to remove them thru the bladder and associated plumbing. Surgeon was able to crush and remove two. This is the third time I've had this done in the last three years. It felt so good on Saturday to not have pain, other than soreness from surgery. Have to go back, in a couple weeks, to have stent removed. In mean time, passing a lot of blood in urine, plus have to go frequently. For those who don't know what renal colic is, God has blessed you, and for those who do know, God bless you!! Hurts to see so many things I would like to be doing, and know I can't touch them.

I would hit the sad button for you if there was one.