Thread: Cabinet touch up?

Cabinet touch up?

I have some maple cabinets in my house showing some wear: our dog’s water and food bowls are near one set of cabinets: and it seems her ears have worn the finish down over the years.

Also: one cabinet door under the sink is showing wear (likely from leaning our knees against it, and water spillage).

I’m nowhere near ready to sand down everything and reapply finish: so I’m looking for a way to protect the now-exposed wood without making this a monster project.... and I’d also like to make it so the repair isn’t noticeable against the factory finish.

My initial thought was a spray shellac of the same sheen....

But I’ve also seen people have success with old English scratch hiding oil?

Any other suggestions here? (I’ll try to find the MFR of the cabinets; but I’m not seeing any markings, and the builder of our house has apparently passed away)

Can you post a picture?

Sorry for the delay: had trouble loading it up:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the finish is most likely lacquer. See if a Q-Tip soaked in lacquer thinner takes it off when rubbed on it in an inconspicuous place. If it does then it's lacquer. Well, lacquer thinner also takes off shellac but no cabinet manufacturer uses it. So, if it's lacquer you could clean it well with mineral spirits and then a little Dawn in water, then carefully sand the damaged areas with fine sandpaper, and then spray it with rattle can lacquer, feathering it back into the undamaged area.

John

My first try would be Restore-A-Finish. I keep all the colors, and it has worked some miracles.