Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not a 96" Biesmeyer ??

Why not a 96" Biesmeyer ??

So I have a 52", and can cut just past a half 8' panel.

When I want to cut a 4x8 to 4x 7' I have 7' to left of blade that needs outboard support.

So now, while brainstorming options for larger saw overall work surface..

I have plenty of room to extend in either direction.

I'm starting to think.. Would it be better to extend to right and fab a 96" Bies rail and permanent ext table ?

*** Assume for this conversation it can accurately solidly properly be done.

I'm wondering - Don't many of you think a rail longer than the " 52" " if you had room be better or worse than cutting to left?

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 03-18-2019 at 4:19 AM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Putting 7' between the blade and the fence on the right would be easier then putting 1' between the fence and the blade on the right. You could have your fence on the left of the blade and 7' away from blade with the same results. On a 4x8 sheet of plywood it would be a little awkward. I wouldn't do it on a 16"x8' board like you were asking about in the other post. Too much chance of racking. Didn't you say that the end may or may not be square? Just ripping off an end is not going to fix something that is not square.

This would be in a case starting w a good square edge... w a full 4' along the fence.

Otherwise it would be back to the sled.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

IMHO you are trying to overshoot the capacity of your saw. Racking will be your issue and that can be very dangerous. Get a circular saw or a track saw and you will achieve your goals easily.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I've knocked down 4' X 8' sheets down a foot or so more times than I can remember. Get a good circular saw and a cross cut guide. Always use tape on both sides to minimize splinters.

Many years ago, when I did this stuff for a living, we had a table saw set up to do what you are suggesting. I was a lowly apprentice, but even the most experienced (Delta Uni), would have minor (blade burns) to major (going off line of cut). Being in the 1970's, safety items, such as splitters, if available, were removed. Every once in a while, a piece of ply would ride up off the blade. Not exactly a kickback, but definitely called for a change of drawers.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Would be much better getting a sliding panel saw. Way easier to manage large panels with higher accuracy IMO.

Sounds about like trying to cut an inch off the end of a telephone pole using your miter gage and rip fence simultaneously. Lots of kickback potential.

breaking down full sheets is much safer with a long straight edge clamped to a well supported board and a good circular saw. If you need to cross-cut or rip you can support the sheet on a sacrificial 4x8 foam insulation sheet and set your saw blade to just enough to cut the plywood sheet. The insulation sheet protects your blade from destroying your supporting table (2x4's on saw horses)

I deliberately bought a saw with a 52" Biese, thinking it would be great for breaking down sheetgoods. But I never really felt comfortable handling that 4x8' sheet, on that tablesaw, all by myself. For me, it just didnt feel well controlled. So I broke them down with a circ saw and later a track saw.

Cutting off 1' with the fence left of the blade sounds worse to me than extending your Biese to the right and doing it. But personally, I wouldn't be comfortable making that cut either way. I'm thinking about racking, like Michelle. YMMV.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi,
    If you have to perform this operation repeatedly, then maybe a vertical panel saw would be a good option for you, if you have the space.

Just like they use in every Home Depot store for ripping and crosscutting plywood. I think Milwaukee makes a nice one that's more affordable than the industrial ones.

Go ahead with a 96 inch fence. Lots of shops had 96 in the old days. Delta had the Unifence in 96 inch in the catalog.

maybe a vertical panel saw would be a good option for you,
    +1 on this

Yea panel saw or track saw for breaking down sheets. I have yet to need past 36" on my table saw. handling pieces larger than that on a table saw IMO just isnt safe. Too unwieldy for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

In my opinion your breaking the cardinal rule of never ripping anything with the fence that is wider than it is long. Major kickback nightmare there. Imagine pushing a 4x8 sheet through the saw trying to cut it to 7' with the 7' between the fence and the blade. You will be standing behind a rectangular frisbee that will without a doubt come back at you. Cut a piece 2'x4' and look at feeding it though the saw with the 4' between the fence and the blade. Nightmare waiting to happen.

I agree, you’re using the the wrong tool for the job, just like in your other thread.

Tools to consider that would do the job better and safer:
    Track saw
    Panel saw
    Sliding table saw