Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Stand Suggestions

Miter Saw Stand Suggestions

Good afternoon guys, its been while since my last visit. My retirement home project which is a DIY project is fixing to kickoff. Building walls, installing lot of blocking that needs to fit. And out of different size 2x material to base board trim. Then there is the finish work, such as doors, windows and lots of trim, plus cabinet work. So I am thinking about purchasing a miter saw stand that I will need to load up for weekends and take back down at end of each day. I want it to be stable and to be able to cut maybe 10'-16' lumber and make repeatable cuts. So I will also need to be able to install a stop block or something. Anyway I was open for suggestions on what to look at that portable and strong that can handle be transported in back of truck. If you have something that fit your needs maybe pass that info along. I do have a 12" Dewalt compound miter saw if that makes difference. Thanks guys for guidance

Bosch T4B gravity rise miter saw stand. I’ve had it for years and can’t imagine anything else. Pricey but well worth the $$$.

All the miter saw stands (except for Festool) are pretty much generic/global and can be used with any miter saw. I took a look some months ago at the options. The mobile/wheeled miter stands are not always created equally. I know the Makita has problems with the extensions. I have not used the Bosch but might be a good option if you have a long distance to move the saw back and forth. I think the best miter saw stand for stability is the Dewalt Heavy Duty (DWX723). It's a fixed stand and requires you to lift the 65 lb saw on and off each time you want to use it.

I have the Bora miter stand and it's been very good for my purposes. But it's not suitable for supporting 16' lumber all by itself. If I had to cut that, I'd use additional supports. There are "systems" out there for cut stations, but they are pricey for anyone not requiring a large cutting operation that's portable because of their business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the long Dewalt miter saw stand that you clip your miter saw onto for use:

I really don't like it. It is a pain to get the miter saw on and off of and it is quite heavy to move around. Once it is in place and set up it is plenty sturdy though.

Someday I will get a Bosch gravity rise miter saw stand.

I have a 12" Dewalt compound miter saw in the shop (not sliding) and a big radial arm saw in the shop. I paid $20 for a Delta 10" compound miter saw which is the one I take up to the house to use and that I take places when I need a saw to hep a friend. I really like the Delta 10" saw! It is much lighter than the 12" but still keeps a REALLY good angle. They are also easy to take apart and clean if the miter positioning no longer moves easy.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 10-13-2022 at 12:07 AM.

Carroll I did exactly what you are planning. Still am in fact.

I used a DeWalt stand under my Kapex. On the left I attached the Festool fence with stops, supported at the far end by a cheap adjustable roller stand. On the right side I fabricated up an mdf torsion box with a lip on the back, again supported outboard by a roller stand. I used a Kreg stick-on ruler on that side with a simple stop which I almost never used.

As a companion piece I made a 4x8 Paulk style workbench on which I assembled doors and shutters. Other equipment included planer/thicknesser, table saw, router table and shaper. And of course a tracksaw.

About the only options for a portable stand with fences and a stop are the Cut Hub and the FastCap Best fence. Fast cap has a ton of options that can be used with multiple stand or their own. The Cut Hub is by far the best but it is over $3,000. Stationary stands that are sweet are the Original Saw Company Miter Saw cut station and the OMGA. The Original Saw is roughly $2,750 and the OMGA more than that.

Blog Entries
    I use a homemade wooden arrangement.
    Best Regards, Maurice

It was already mentioned, but worth taking a look at fastcaps best fence system.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I use a homemade wooden arrangement.
    After trying 5 different stands for our construction crews, including two different Dewalts, a TracRak, A Makita and a Bosch gravity, I agree with Maurice. Each of these store bought ones has a fatal flaw or two. The stops are so bad as to be useless on all but the tracrak, they all adjust themselves when bumped, don't have enough range to be useful, are made of garbage wimpy steel, and/or fall off. The Dewalt like Michael dislikes above at least has more stop range, but as he says, it's not very portable, and the stops still flex. The gravity rise copy and the gravity rise stand don't have enough range on the stops to be useful in carpentry, you need to be able to cut studs for example and neither of these have the sop capability. I sold the bosh to some other poor sod, and stuck a 20' long piece of square tubing in the wheeled Dewalt to clamp stops to. Makes it non-portable, but at least it has stops and cut off supports now. The Makita is the wort stand I've ever used. on top of the stop issues, it also falls apart regularly and the wheels are so close together that it is impossible to move without tipping. The tracrac is actually a decent stand, but it's not made anymore and portability sucks.

Basically, I don't think any stands on the market are both portable and have enough range for real carpentry. Most of the time we just set the saw up on a high deck flatbed trailer where the unit of 2x is, screw a few blocks down for stops and have a 30' long saw table that will not cause trouble. Also have a sawhorse, homebrew arrangement that works ok. Trim is a bit different, you just have to deal with one of the other subpar stands, but stops are less of an issue with it.

Steve, have you tried Cut Hub? Really nice and designed to suit. I bet with a price tag to match, too! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a Bosch Gravity stand for many years and had a positive experience with it. I used it to put a 1000 sf addition on my historic home. As part of this project, I bought a big pile of 20' long bleacher boards from a gymnasium demolition and used them for exterior trim. I was regularly cutting 51 degree angle cut (15:12 pitch on roof) on these long boards and the Bosch stand worked fine (with additional roller supports for the long boards, of course). I agree that using stops on these stands, and any miter saw for that matter, is a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I agree with Maurice.
    Me too. Sawhorses, 2x4's, and OSB. 'Level' with shims, and leave it in place. Just haul the saw back and forth. It'll rot and mildew in the rain, but who cares. Mine's been outside for several years and is still solid. I even broke it down to the sawhorses and dragged the top like a sled to another location. Shim it up, run some screws in, back in business.

I put 2x4 supports on 16" centers from CL of the saw. Not for anything precise, but they come in handy for pre-starting nails on trim without needing a tape and 3 hands. I ran a Sharpie around the 'feet' so I could find the holes for deck screws to tie the saw down.

It's quite handy for a track saw as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, have you tried Cut Hub? Really nice and designed to suit. I bet with a price tag to match, too! LOL
    That looks pretty sweet Jim! I like how they tied the halves together. One benefit of the built on site rigs is like Wes mentioned, nice to just leave it outside and know that no sane person is going to walk off with it. That Cut Hub beauty might attract the wrong crowd though...

I have two 12" Dewalt sliders. One is on a stand that does not see the outdoors, or leave my work shop. The other is mounted on an old Delta mobile stand that I use for construction tasks. The stand is perfect, but unfortunately, Delta's newer version looks nothing like it. It has 12" wheels and I can drag it over rough terrain found around a construction site, or I can pull it up stairs without too much effort.

I just did a bit of Googling, and do if I were to buy one today, for construction type duty, I'd lean towards the new Delta model or the Bosch. This review might help some...... https://sawreviewed.com/best-miter-saw-stand/