Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Need new countersinks

  1. #1

    Need new countersinks

    Today, a 20 year-old 3/8ths countersink rolled off the table and was damaged. I can't remember where I got it or what brand it was.

    Need recommendations for new ones. Thanks.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

  2. #2
    Fuller countersinks are up there and what I'd buy today if i needed a new one or a set.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    M.A. Ford makes an excellent single flute countersink- the best I have tried. Fullers are very good as well, but I do not like the chatter that the 4 flute cutters make.
    The single flute is better in my opinion.

  4. #4
    I bought a set of tapered drill/countersinks at Woodcraft on sale. They work fine imo (and dramatically cheaper than Fuller).

    Otherwise I use metalworking countersinks when just wanting to countersink. Usually the single flute type (not the type that has a hole through the side). Agree the 4 flute cutters can chatter (less of an issue if drilling at the same time, but when just a countersink way too much chatter).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I also have a single flute preference. Pick your brand.



    I have run the inexpensive ones for many years. Only HCS but, easily hones on the drill press to razor sharp.
    "The Danish government believes that if we train 5,000 designers, and produce
    one Hans Wegner, the money is very well spent." - Ole Gjerlov-Knudsen

  6. #6
    I like the ones I got at lee valley,42281,71860

    They have a nice stop that doesn't bruise the wood I believe they are Amana
    On amanas site there is 3 sizes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Spend a little extra and buy the countersink cage type. The 1/4 drive type max out around 3/8. You can buy cages with a plastic foot so the wood is not marred. easy depth adjustment within 1/1000 inch every time. Check aircraft supply stores and ebay. Ebay for the cages and watch out to get the correct angle as much aircraft stuff is 100 degrees.

  8. #8
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tapered bits and countersinks for drilling, but sometimes a stand-alone countersink is very useful.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio
    This is one of the many 20% off items I toss in the cart if I do't have anything else to.....lower my cost of disposable tools.....on any given trip to the Far East Junk Store (aka Harbor Freight).

    What can I say? They work for me & anyhow, I lose ten times as many as I break or dull.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I use and like the Lee Valley ones a lot.
    You know what I want somebody to stay at my funeral? Look, hes moving!!!

    After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off.

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    So. Fla
    I use the Fuller CS. Top notch product. M.A. Ford's are also top notch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts