Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: "Sunday Toodling"

Project: "Sunday Toodling"

I took a little break from "Sting-zilla" (the name Dennis Peacock awarded my CNC machine) after completing that architectural appliqué job a little over a week ago so I could clean up the shop and start working on a furniture commission that frankly doesn't have any CNC work at all. While I originally intended to cut up some fallen ash trees today, the wind was uncomfortable, so I spent a few minutes in the shop on my continuing quest for better organization.

Having scored a complete set of essentially unused Festool Centrotec drill bits (all the stuff in the top of the photo below) this week from a fellow 'Creeker and in the spirit of organization, I did a little quickie CNC project with a piece of scrap HDU to get all of my Centrotec stuff in one place and not rolling around in a drawer. 20 minutes of computer time and 15 minutes of cutting and this was the result..and it fits right into the right side of one of my tool chest drawers exactly as I wanted it to do.

Yet another "to a hammer, everything is a nail" CNC episode from my shop...with more to come since I might as well have the machine cutting something while I building a double-decker bed for someone. I have a lot of drawers and a lot of stuff rolling around in them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That looks like it was molded, Jim. Very cool. You're going to be way too organized to find anything now.

John

I love cutting HDU, John...and every scrap gets used somehow!
    --

So thats what $1,000,000 worth of festool bits looks like in one place. Interesting. Looks good, does it stack in the drawer?

Great idea... Looks neat.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    So thats what $1,000,000 worth of festool bits looks like in one place. Interesting. Looks good, does it stack in the drawer?
    ROFLOL!

No stacking on this one...KISS method.
    --

Jim,
    It is time for you to admit you have warped into a "computer geek"!

BTW - organization is way over rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Jim,
    It is time for you to admit you have warped into a "computer geek"!

BTW - organization is way over rated.
    ROFLOL. 38 years in the Tech/IT/Telecom business prior to my retirement a year and a quarter ago probably means I've been one for a very long time.
    --

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is HDU? Not familiar with that 3-letter acronym.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is HDU? Not familiar with that 3-letter acronym.
    High Density Urethane aka sign foam, sign board. It's a type of foam board commonly used for making signs. Comes in different densities, thicknesses and sizes. Great stuff, but kind of expensive.

Gary

HDU (and other non-wood products) have essentially all but replaced wood for signage, at least for outdoor work. They don't rot and aside from physical damage, they "last forever". It's a pleasure to work with on the CNC because it cuts cleanly, fast and quiet. I grabbed a vehicle full of scraps from a friend (and SMC-er) in Richmond VA on the way north from Florida last summer, and what I don't use for signs, I use for other things, such as this little project. I don't like wasting anything! And depending on thickness and density, this stuff costs between $200 and $400 a 4x8 sheet purchased new.
    --

Woah, that’s pricey ... it’s basically like super hard foam?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Woah, that’s pricey ... it’s basically like super hard foam?
    Yes, it's a "foam" product but it's dense. Carves beautifully by hand, not just with the CNC. While it's "expensive" stuff, for the various purposes it's used for, it's the perfect medium...reasonable weight, doesn't weather or rot, can be shaped very precisely (think mold making) and takes various finishes very nicely. It's different than wood, of course, but all the same tools can work it.
    --

Ok, it wasn't Sunday today, but I had a short period of time to faddle in the shop due to a bunch of other kinds of appointments and decided to "continue the theme" started with this particular drawer given I have acquired a few more Centrotec accessories that needed an organized home. Those, combined with a few other items could fill up the remaining 250mm x 250mm space in the drawer. And now they do. This side is mostly Imperial with the exception of a set of shortie Festool brad points. Nothing like putting a little scrap to good use as well as thinking through the solution on the computer.

IMG_5735.jpg

And yes. stuff takes up more room this way, but then again, everything has its place and is easy to find.
    --

I’m officially jealous. I’m not a tech guy or engineer, but that organization has my OCD side of the brain drooling.