Thread: What is a subscriber based forum?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    When did the fact that the forum is a business come to light, that it has not been a known fact from day one says a lot to me. OR did it start out as a forum and not a business and change somewhere down the line. Nothing is open or transparent about this at all and I would have no issues at all if all it had been known. Ken, I don't think anything I have said would class me as a jerk but if that is what you think then fair enough I must be.
    Chris, please point out where I called you a jerk. I was merely suggesting that people, plural, the reason my statement used the term "everybody", should realize Keith as the owner has the right to make the decision that is right for him from both a financial and personal perspective. When Keith makes said decision, people should respect his decision, make their own resulting decision and not be publicly trying to call Keith out over his decision. I really think most members including you fail to realize or fully appreciate the amount of time Keith and Jackie spend in the background keeping the Creek flowing.

Point blank. It is my understanding that post Badger Pond, from the beginning of the Creek, Keith formed a corporation to isolate himself against personal legal liability incurred with running this forum. Thus it was a business out of legal necessity not for personal gain. I have seen an executive of a corporation make subtle legal threats here at the Creek when they felt one of their products was being unfairly criticized and Moderators/Administrators were allowing it to continue. When due to changing business conditions Keith's initial business went bankrupt, it was discussed at length here at the Creek in public view what to do and that the Creek might cease to exist. One of the Moderators not the Keith suggested and began a campaign to get members to contribute financially to keep the Creek alive. Keith coupled the idea of paid advertising along with membership contributions to keep the Creek financially afloat. Mind you at the time Jackie, his wife was a school teacher while Keith was working for a university and running a sign company out of his shop. I don't know if Jackie has retired but I know Keith has retired from the university but he still has a sign company operating out of his shop. In the background, Keith and Jackie have very generously given their time to keep the Creek afloat. Often you have to contact companies and sell your website as a potential advertising website.

With the economic down turn a few years ago coupled with the advent of ad-blocking software, corporations are spending less for online advertisement. Advertising income has decreased and regular scheduled expenses have continued to rise.

I left a corporate run tool users website because it was under moderated. Beginners were badgered by those who set themselves up as the resident experts and the uncivil treatment, often in a profane, demeaning fashion, was allowed to continue. I have not been back to the website in well over decade. IMO it is the TOSs of the Creek with Moderator and Administrator enforcement that gives the Creek it's civil nature and allows for an educational, often entertaining environment for all levels of woodworkers, professional and hobbyists.

I retired at the lowest level from 2 large recognized global corporations. I admire the courage that Keith and Jackie have demonstrated in providing the Creek for the rest of us to use. I will never understand people that have that type of courage. I don't have that type of courage thus my career with large corporations.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-29-2019 at 1:27 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....