Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: What is a subscriber based forum?

We are aware of the problems that vBulletin has with mobile access and viewing banner graphics is one of them. I'm told that there isn't anything we can do about mobile access which is a major reason we want to convert to Xenforo. I think I remember Aaron telling me that about 40% of the access here is with mobile devices, mostly phones.

Another concern is that the search option is terrible and I have always felt that our archives were as important as active threads, particularly the pictures and other file attachments we host.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What device and browser are you using?
    windows 7, firefox
    P
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-03-2019 at 11:26 PM. Reason: fixed tags
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Just a thought, but it might be worth making the software change prior to the subscriber system so as to see if the software was the culprit.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    windows 7, firefox
    P
    The newer editions of Firefox block most ads and popups unless you turn it off in firefox.

hmmm I thought I whitelisted this site
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have a simple solution:

Why don’t you set up that members responses are limited to a yearly basis, or monthly basis.
    Literally, first 12 posts are free per year. After that it cost $.50 per post or six dollars per year for unlimited posting.

I’m sure there is Patch that can be set up. If there is 117,500 members, even at 30% contribution, And a bit trickling in on the backside could keep things afloat.

Many solutions are available. But... if you want to compare this to a good coffee shop, and there is a Members/ contributors Only claws/Payment, visitors should be able to get their feet wet to test the product. Those who are comparing this to a dealership… Any dealership I know will let me have a test drive before I buy the product.

I’ve already been slammed (by contributors and/or moderators) for using the product or talking about the product without contributing. I’ve said before I’ve referenced SMC to my classes/students as constructive educational source. Some of them might become contributors. Some of the may not.

But this is just like any other great resource/magazine, Coffee shop or dealership. Hook line and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    I have a simple solution:

Why don’t you set up that members responses are limited to a yearly basis, or monthly basis.
    Literally, first 12 posts are free per year. After that it cost $.50 per post or six dollars per year for unlimited posting.

I’m sure there is Patch that can be set up. If there is 117,500 members, even at 30% contribution, And a bit trickling in on the backside could keep things afloat.

Many solutions are available. But... if you want to compare this to a good coffee shop, and there is a Members/ contributors Only claws/Payment, visitors should be able to get their feet wet to test the product. Those who are comparing this to a dealership… Any dealership I know will let me have a test drive before I buy the product.

I’ve already been slammed (by contributors and/or moderators) for using the product or talking about the product without contributing. I’ve said before I’ve referenced SMC to my classes/students as constructive educational source. Some of them might become contributors. Some of the may not.

But this is just like any other great resource/magazine, Coffee shop or dealership. Hook line and sinker.
    Crikey Matt; you talk about others having a free test drive. You've been a free member on this forum site since 2014, with 384 posts to your name..

Accept some of the blame for the financial shortfall this forum site is currently facing -and pay your $6.00 annual membership fee.

regards;

Through the years we have tried about everything you can imagine to convince people to donate. We have sponsored over $44,000 in FreeStuff Drawings for Contributors, had fund drives during the month of November for a few years, and a long list of other things that were unsuccessful. The only constant is the response we received when we asked why people won't donate was "why should I donate when everything is free".

I am out of options and patience trying to convince people that The Creek is worth 50 cents per month.

Keith .. you have my full support whatever you decide to do. I am willing to pay/contribute/subscribe or however you need the site supported. I get a lot of benefit and enjoyment from SMC.

The only thing I do not enjoy is the complaining and whining by some "members".

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Keith .. you have my full support whatever you decide to do. I am willing to pay/contribute/subscribe or however you need the site supported. I get a lot of benefit and enjoyment from SMC.

The only thing I do not enjoy is the complaining and whining by some "members".
    Count me in as well Keith.....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    ....I am out of options and patience trying to convince people that The Creek is worth 50 cents per month.
    Just do it, Keith. Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Just do it, Keith. Just do it.
    +1. Tear off the bandage.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Well said, Larry.. Agree
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-09-2019 at 9:27 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Jerry

14. Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Crikey Matt; you talk about others having a free test drive. You've been a free member on this forum site since 2014, with 384 posts to your name..

Accept some of the blame for the financial shortfall this forum site is currently facing -and pay your $6.00 annual membership fee.

regards;
    I would pay if my students got a free ride. Exclusiveness venue? I’m teaching struggling woodworking newbies to try to survive. I bring a 24 case of water in my class once a week. I donate about $1000 a year to the same class.... food, wood, tools........In the end I make less Half minimum wage. But, I get kids off the street learning a trade and being useful to society. You can live up on your high horse, my life was just threatened today as I expelled a kid for intoxication and drug related activity. I guess there’s different strokes for different folks.

You can put up your blinders or security cameras, but every dollar you don’t make or stolen from you, remember I’m trying to turn these kids around.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 04-09-2019 at 1:13 AM.

Whoa Matt,

Where did that come from? Gentlemans Club? You are saying we are an Elitist group? This is a group of hobbyists, along with some professionals which come here to learn, teach, and enjoy seeing what others like us are doing. I would hazard a guess that at least half of us work in a crowded basement, or half a garage, or storage sheds.

Sure some are better off, better tooled, and/or better talented than others, but that is how we learn, and it gives the rest something to aspire to.

It is wonderful to hear that you are teaching kids to do woodworking, but wouldn't it be better to take $6 of that thousand you donate to become a contributor, and let the kids take a look at the Creek after hours and see what others with limited means can accomplish?

If by Gentleman's Club, you are referring to maintaining the site by rules of decorum, perhaps that is something that would benefit the kids also. They probably don't get to see much 'gentle debate' elsewhere.

Relax, get some sleep, and start a thread about what you are doing. I am sure I am not the only one who would like to see.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.