Thread: Assembly table with router?

Assembly table with router?

I知 thinking of incorporating an assembly table into my layout but to do so I値l need to possibly combine it with my router table. Anyone ever done this or have a link to one? I知 not finding much in google searches. Thanks.

My combo Assembly Table / Outfeed Area / Workbench is 4' x 8' in size with a 30" x 30" drop-down area that I use for several tools including an oscillating spindle / belt sander, scroll saw and portable router table. For operations in which I am going back and forth between the sander & router table, I will often set the router table where the sander is and move the sander back to surface behind the raised area for easy use of both tools. I use the shop vac / dust deputy combo for dust collection in the area but at some point may plumb it into the main DC system. Each of the tools store in the area beneath the work surface, as well as a multitude of other handheld power tools and other woodworking items. You could likely incorporate a more permanent router table / router lift into the design and allow a wide open area for assembly if desired.

- Workshop b.jpg

I see no reason why you cannot do that if it works for your workflow and space. There is minimal disruption of the surface when the fence is removed. In fact, if you plan it out well, you can use tee-tracks that span the whole surface for a variety of clamping advantages when you're doing the assembly thing. Make sure you also provide a few round dog holes so you can use traditional hold-downs if you happen to like them as I do. For the router, I suggest you use some form of a lift and also box the router in under the tables so you have more control of dust collection...build it like you would a router table station but with a huge, huge top.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. That’s what I’m thinking. Incorporate a table to use for assembly and try to include my router table into it. Getting my ridgid sander in it too would be great. Will have to give some thought.

I do have a real workbench inbound in a couple weeks so I’ll have a separate bench for using hand tools. This one would be used for assembly, glue up, etc.

As long as these added elements sit flush with the table top and are positioned so you can leverage any clamping/fastening requirements you have without interference, you should be fine. You will also want to take care to insure that the assembly surface has the structure it needs to stay perfectly flat, including in the areas where the weight of the tools embedded in it may influence things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...