Thread: Medium Brown Dye?

Medium Brown Dye?

For those who haven't started celebrating yet, the pic you see is the base of a coffee table that will be black. This is standard Lowes construction grade lumber that has been dyed black. I have not stained it yet. It actually looks more black in person than the pic shows. The unfinished lumber shows what it used to look like.

20190316_154137.jpg
    20190317_102303.jpg

Anyway, I used transtint to do this. They have black. Now I'm looking for a dye that's a medium brown. I can't find a brown dye. Does anyone know how to mix a brown using either transtint (preferably) or mixol. I made my black dye using equal part lacquer thinner and DNA.

20190306_125832.jpg

Something along these lower shades.

Thanks!

20190315_225456.jpg

I tried just staining some lumber with Proluxe teak color that I have on hand with dismal results. The bottom is regular and the top pressure treated with the stain on the right side of the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Lol.... no sh*t. I couldn't find brown at all. I was searching for all transtint colors, not transtint brown. <facepalm>

Just for information: Brown is orange with a bit if black to darken it. Orange is a mix of red and yellow. Vary the mix a bit to give either a reder orange or yellower orange. Now that you have found pre-mixed brown, you can change the shade by adding tiny amounts of red, yellow, and/or black.

Transtint has several good medium browns. I am partial to the Coffee Brown, but the Medium Brown and Reddish Brown are also good.

Mike,
    I'm just curious, you said "that has been dyed black. I have not stained it yet", what is the reason for staining?
    Ed

The Woodcraft "sale" catalog I recently received has a "medium brown" dye in it...but keep in mind that color names are something that humans make up and there is no "standard", Many folks working with dyes will tend to mix their own colors from stock hues to get exactly the effect they want on the specific wood species. This obviously requires testing and always requires taking the full finishing regimen through at least the first coat of the intended clear on top since that also affects color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...