Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dust Bin Sensor Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    So I built this sensor and it worked perfectly at first, but it's kind of "wigging out" on me more recently. When I trigger the sensor the controller/timer will count down as it should but then it won't turn the light on when it gets to zero. I know the light works because when I apply power directly it comes on as it should. I tried to re-program the controller but when I push the "set" button I get nothing (never shows P1). I'm guessing the controller is semi-fried and probably going to order a new one, but wanted to check with the experts here to see if I might be missing something.
    I had a similar experience as I posted earlier.

I ended redoing it based on a different design based on a thread I found here. See:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....lection+sensor

Somewhat simpler and is working. The sensor fits into the same size hole.

It is working. I think it's more sensitive as it flashes when I am putting a lot of chips into the bin, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Bob

Thanks for sharing your efforts to build a dust bin sensor for your Oneida dust collector. I’ll be building one for my dust collector. What are your thoughts about the feasibility/practicality of programming the sensor to not only turn on an alert light, but also to power down the collector?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mich View Post
    Thanks for sharing your efforts to build a dust bin sensor for your Oneida dust collector. I’ll be building one for my dust collector. What are your thoughts about the feasibility/practicality of programming the sensor to not only turn on an alert light, but also to power down the collector?
    I did that, I have a flashing LED beacon and decided to connect the sensor to my cyclone starter as well.

I was using the planer when it shut off the cyclone and plugged up my planer.

that was the end of using it to shut off the cyclone, I'm back to the flashing beacon..............Regards, Rod.

Rod, that's a really good point...the very tools that fill the bin fastest are also the ones that just can't operate for more than a few seconds without dust collection being active. So "Yea" to the warning light, but "Nea" to the auto shut off seems prudent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree, good point. I also think it good to set sensor sensitivity to less than a full dust collection bin to permit finishing the operation without overflowing the bin.

I have ordered all the parts for the bin sensor but i'm having trouble understanding Rod Sheridan's drawing as it relates to the relay pics. For instance where and what are vcc , gnd and ck on the relay pic? Also, when the pos wire from the power supply joins the brown wire from the sensor and branches down to the com terminal, does this they are joined and a pigtail is run down to the com screw and a separate pigtail to the vcc connection? I have looked at multiple photos of the wiring but no matter how much I enlarge the pics I cant really see all the connections. Appreciate it if someone could get me on the right track.

Woody Dixon

Woody,

It's been a while since I did this. I found this diagram on Amazon that might help.

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 7.41.02 AM.jpg

So the load power on the right is from the bin sensor and the bottom left connection is the negative from the flashing light? Where does the positive from the light connect? Thanks for the diagram.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by woody dixon View Post
    So the load power on the right is from the bin sensor and the bottom left connection is the negative from the flashing light? Where does the positive from the light connect? Thanks for the diagram.

Woody
    First of all, I re-did mine a while ago so I can't look to see how I wired it. I agree it's confusing. I found another diagram:

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 9.18.23 AM.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

Bob and Larry were kind enough to reply but unfortunately they did not remember the connections they made. This was a pretty big thread and many people posted and built the bin sensor so I cant believe that no one now remembers how to connect the components or explain Rod's diagram. I also know people have more pressing matters to attend to than my struggles with this build. If someone that does remember could find the time to clarify these issues raised in my original post I would really appreciate it. Thank you again Bob and Larry for trying.

Hi Woody, I sent you a PM, please email me a photo or drawing of your timer…..Thanks, Rod.

Got My Sensor Installed

Got my sensor installed. Thanks everyone for posting this.

Toggle switch on left to power up.

Beacon on top - I can see it from the planer, and jointer

Green indicator light at power on.

DC remote stuck with Velcro to side, so I know where it is...

20211203_170058small.jpg20211203_212109small.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Got my sensor installed. Thanks everyone for posting this.

Toggle switch on left to power up.

Beacon on top - I can see it from the planer, and jointer

Green indicator light at power on.

DC remote stuck with Velcro to side, so I know where it is...

20211203_170058small.jpg20211203_212109small.jpg
    Nice implementation. What controller did you use? I’m trying to find one that is more reliable, but they all appear to be cheaply made in China with the associated lack of quality control.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Tom - sorry, I didn't see this question until now. I went back and looked at my order on Amazon and the unit I ordered is changed to something else. The one I ordered is also a cheap Chinese thing - "DROK Time Delay Relay DC 5V 12V 24v Delay Controller Board Delay-off Cycle Timer..."

So far so good. It is a little different that some of the others posted here but wasn't that hard to figure out the wiring and programming.

I have since added a siren because I am not confident I will "see the light". The siren is in a closet though to attenuate the LOUDNESS.
    Regards,

Kris

Do you have a cookbook explanation of how to build this? And a complete parts list?
    im pretty electronically challenged but I could follow a cookbook. But maybe I should just buy one.
    The Plane Anarchist