Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dust Bin Sensor Completed

Thank you, Rod! (And thanks for adding that to this thread, too!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You're welcome, I'm in Virginia enjoying the sunshine and trees with leaves........Rod.

Thanks Rod.

IMG_0455.jpg

I was thinking of getting the parts and making one. How well does it work?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob, I will be installing in the barrel this weekend, keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    I was thinking of getting the parts and making one. How well does it work?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

Sorry for the delay, the "boss" had other plans this weekend. I completed my setup. I have 1 issue I have to work thru. While not in the bin the sensor picks up my hand at 5 inches, while in the bin the sensor picks up the dust pile at 10 inches. I don't see how to adjust this sensor. Perhaps I need a different sensor? I see some sensors online state adjustabilty from 0 - 30 cm.
    IMG_0484.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0497.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0503.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    Bob,

Sorry for the delay, the "boss" had other plans this weekend. I completed my setup. I have 1 issue I have to work thru. While not in the bin the sensor picks up my hand at 5 inches, while in the bin the sensor picks up the dust pile at 10 inches. I don't see how to adjust this sensor. Perhaps I need a different sensor? I see some sensors online state adjustabilty from 0 - 30 cm.
    Adam,

Thanks, very helpful. I understand the delay :-)

Even at 10 inches not so bad. At least you know it's gets close to full.

I will continue to follow the thread and start collecting the parts and supplies. Will be a while before I have time to work on it, several other projects ahead of this.

Thanks,
    Bob

Can you see the pictures?

Adam,

Thanks, very helpful. I understand the delay :-)

Even at 10 inches not so bad. At least you know it's gets close to full.

I will continue to follow the thread and start collecting the parts and supplies. Will be a while before I have time to work on it, several other projects ahead of this.

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    Can you see the pictures?
    Yes, no problem.

Bob

Hi Adam, my sensor has a small screw on the cable end that is a potentiometer for sensitivity.

I adjusted mine to the lowest value it would trigger at...........Regards, Rod.

Interesting. I have a small brass screw but it was covered in glue used to seal the cable to the body. I cant get it to move, now I stripped it. Thanks for the followup.

Hi,

I went ahead and ordered the parts on ebay. Parts will get to me sometime between middle of May and early July :-)

Worth an experiment for $21.

Bob

I completed my dust bin sensor using the sensor and timer from eBay. I was able to scrounge a 12V 1A DC power supply from an old networking switch and I had lots of electronics parts lying around that I made use of. I did purchase the LED trailer tail lite at Harbor Freight and I bought a couple neoprene washers for attaching the sensor to the drum lid at Ace Hardware.

One addition I made to mine was to add an on/off switch and an LED that comes on when the switch is on. That way it's not powered up unless I'm using the dust collector. It's easy to add an LED and switch. I added the switch to the positive lead coming from the power supply. The LED is a typical 2.2V, 20mA LED. The anode gets connected to the positive lead coming off the switch. The cathode gets attached to two 1K ohm, 1/4 watt resistors in parallel (500 ohms) and then to the negative lead from the power supply.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas and tips, especially Rod for providing a schematic and instructions for programming the timer. They were spot on.

DIY DS 1.jpgDIY DS 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 05-21-2019 at 4:48 PM.

I received all of the parts from China via eBay, and also a box and some terminal blocks from Amazon.

I put it together today, did the setup, and it appears to work. See attached pictures.

IMG_7105.jpgIMG_7102.JPGIMG_7101.JPG

I have not yet attached it to the dust collector, the first pictures show where it will be installed. I am also not sure how sensitive it needs to be, but mine does have an adjustment screw on the sensor.

Also, now I need how to bring 110v to a 220v dust collector and keep it mobile.

Bob

Also, now I need how to bring 110v to a 220v dust collector and keep it mobile.
    You need a 240/120v four wire circuit to accomplish this on a single connection to your "mobile" DC setup. The fourth wire provides the neutral required for the 120v need. Alternatively...two separate cords.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...