Thread: Dust Bin Sensor Completed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust Bin Sensor Completed

After reading all of the fine work by several members, I decided that I wanted to add the dust bin sensor to my Oneida Super Dust Gorilla. I ordered most of the parts on eBay. The sensor was $3.79, the delay relay board was $4.95 and the 12 V power supply was $9.99. I used some LED trailer lights that I had sitting around, a blue electrical box and wire and a terminal strip. The picture shows the sensor, delay board and washers I used for mounting the sensor.

20190315_111215 (Medium).jpg

My dust collector is outside of my shop in the garage so I need to wire it with the sensor in the garage and the rest of the circuit and lights in my shop. I drilled a hole thru the wall and mounted ¾” plywood on either side.

20190315_111537 (Medium).jpg
    This is an overview of my cyclone. I am using a cardboard bin with a metal lid to collect the chips. A hole drill was used to drill thru the lid and the sensor mounted using hose washers on each side to seal the sensor. Before mounting the sensor, it was calibrated so that it picked up anything within about 4 inches of it. I mounted an electrical box close so that I had enough wire to the sensor to easily remove the lid and empty the bin. Note that the metal lid is grounded to the metal cyclone.

20190310_111033 (Medium).jpg
    Inside my shop, I mounted the circuit board in an electrical box and made all the connections to the sensor, power, and the alarm lights.

20190310_110305 (Medium).jpg
    I mounted the 2 12 volt trailer lights near the ceiling from one of my 6” pipes. It is a place where I would see it if it was turned on. In the future, I will look at getting a flasher relay to use to make the lights blink. The relays are cheap and the same thing that is used in a car for flashing lights.

20190310_110444 (Medium).jpg
    My thanks to Rod Sheridan for his help in wiring the sensor, power and circuit board as I would have never figured it out myself.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 03-17-2019 at 12:50 PM.