Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Dust Bin Sensor Completed

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    49,580
    Thank you, Rod! (And thanks for adding that to this thread, too!)
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    9,495
    You're welcome, I'm in Virginia enjoying the sunshine and trees with leaves........Rod.

  3. #18
    Thanks Rod.

    IMG_0455.jpg

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    33
    I was thinking of getting the parts and making one. How well does it work?

    Thanks,
    Bob

  5. #20
    Bob, I will be installing in the barrel this weekend, keep you posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    I was thinking of getting the parts and making one. How well does it work?

    Thanks,
    Bob

  6. #21
    Bob,

    Sorry for the delay, the "boss" had other plans this weekend. I completed my setup. I have 1 issue I have to work thru. While not in the bin the sensor picks up my hand at 5 inches, while in the bin the sensor picks up the dust pile at 10 inches. I don't see how to adjust this sensor. Perhaps I need a different sensor? I see some sensors online state adjustabilty from 0 - 30 cm.
    IMG_0484.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0497.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0503.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    Bob,

    Sorry for the delay, the "boss" had other plans this weekend. I completed my setup. I have 1 issue I have to work thru. While not in the bin the sensor picks up my hand at 5 inches, while in the bin the sensor picks up the dust pile at 10 inches. I don't see how to adjust this sensor. Perhaps I need a different sensor? I see some sensors online state adjustabilty from 0 - 30 cm.
    Adam,

    Thanks, very helpful. I understand the delay :-)

    Even at 10 inches not so bad. At least you know it's gets close to full.

    I will continue to follow the thread and start collecting the parts and supplies. Will be a while before I have time to work on it, several other projects ahead of this.

    Thanks,
    Bob

  8. #23
    Can you see the pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    Adam,

    Thanks, very helpful. I understand the delay :-)

    Even at 10 inches not so bad. At least you know it's gets close to full.

    I will continue to follow the thread and start collecting the parts and supplies. Will be a while before I have time to work on it, several other projects ahead of this.

    Thanks,
    Bob

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    Can you see the pictures?
    Yes, no problem.

    Bob

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    9,495
    Hi Adam, my sensor has a small screw on the cable end that is a potentiometer for sensitivity.

    I adjusted mine to the lowest value it would trigger at...........Regards, Rod.

  11. #26
    Interesting. I have a small brass screw but it was covered in glue used to seal the cable to the body. I cant get it to move, now I stripped it. Thanks for the followup.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    33
    Hi,

    I went ahead and ordered the parts on ebay. Parts will get to me sometime between middle of May and early July :-)

    Worth an experiment for $21.

    Bob

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    423
    I completed my dust bin sensor using the sensor and timer from eBay. I was able to scrounge a 12V 1A DC power supply from an old networking switch and I had lots of electronics parts lying around that I made use of. I did purchase the LED trailer tail lite at Harbor Freight and I bought a couple neoprene washers for attaching the sensor to the drum lid at Ace Hardware.

    One addition I made to mine was to add an on/off switch and an LED that comes on when the switch is on. That way it's not powered up unless I'm using the dust collector. It's easy to add an LED and switch. I added the switch to the positive lead coming from the power supply. The LED is a typical 2.2V, 20mA LED. The anode gets connected to the positive lead coming off the switch. The cathode gets attached to two 1K ohm, 1/4 watt resistors in parallel (500 ohms) and then to the negative lead from the power supply.

    Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas and tips, especially Rod for providing a schematic and instructions for programming the timer. They were spot on.

    DIY DS 1.jpgDIY DS 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 05-21-2019 at 4:48 PM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    33
    I received all of the parts from China via eBay, and also a box and some terminal blocks from Amazon.

    I put it together today, did the setup, and it appears to work. See attached pictures.

    IMG_7105.jpgIMG_7102.JPGIMG_7101.JPG

    I have not yet attached it to the dust collector, the first pictures show where it will be installed. I am also not sure how sensitive it needs to be, but mine does have an adjustment screw on the sensor.

    Also, now I need how to bring 110v to a 220v dust collector and keep it mobile.

    Bob

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    49,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post

    Also, now I need how to bring 110v to a 220v dust collector and keep it mobile.
    You need a 240/120v four wire circuit to accomplish this on a single connection to your "mobile" DC setup. The fourth wire provides the neutral required for the 120v need. Alternatively...two separate cords.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •