Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dust Bin Sensor Completed

I am also electronically challenged and was wondering the same thing. Buy or make?

The basic sensor set up is simple. Go to Post #46 in this thread for the basic wiring diagram (assuming you did not see it). A lot of folks have added complexity with timers, control boards, and what not that is not really needed for this to work. You simply need the Banner IR sensor, the strobe light, and a power supply. I wired my power supply into the switched side of the dust collector contactor so it is powered only when the fan motor is powered up. You adjust the IR sensor to make contact when the bin is roughly 4 inches from full so there is little chance of overfilling while planing or jointing. In the simplest of terms, the IR sensor is simply a switch that is either normally open or normally closed. The circuit closes when the bin is full and the strobe light energizes. This is all basic circuit wiring, no electronics knowledge is necessary.

Thanks I think I can do that.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Tom - sorry, I didn't see this question until now. I went back and looked at my order on Amazon and the unit I ordered is changed to something else. The one I ordered is also a cheap Chinese thing - "DROK Time Delay Relay DC 5V 12V 24v Delay Controller Board Delay-off Cycle Timer..."

So far so good. It is a little different that some of the others posted here but wasn't that hard to figure out the wiring and programming.

I have since added a siren because I am not confident I will "see the light". The siren is in a closet though to attenuate the LOUDNESS.
    Kris — No worries. I think all these controller boards are made in the same Chinese factory. Mine works but I find that it “forgets” its programming every once in a while and I have to go back in and set the mode, delay, etc …
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Here is my implementation of level sensor using readily available parts. I have filled the dust bin a dozen times and it worked every time. I set the sensor to come on when the sawdust is about 5" from the sensor. Looking at the nearly full drum of sawdust, I positioned the sensor over a spot that had relatively flat area, so that there would be a good reflection for the sensor.

Made with a Banner QS18VP6D optical level sensor and a 12V or 24V light, plus matching voltage DC power supply. The Banner its rated for 100mA maximum load so choose an LED light that draws 50mA or less. Level detection point of the Banner can be adjusted. Banner can usually be found on eBay for under $30.

Dust Level Sensor Wiring Diagram.jpg

A short video showing the sensor in action: https://youtu.be/JIUpPrCKCU8
    Last edited by Steven Woodward; 08-21-2022 at 1:20 PM.

Steve, thanks for sharing a much simplified, and inexpensive, circuit for a dust bin sensor. I purchased the exact same sensor and flasher unit and it works great on my DC system. Interestingly, the LTE-5061 flasher I received had 2 red leads and neither was marked. I guess they must have run out of black wire that day. A quick connection to just the power supply showed which one is positive. This little flasher is brighter than I imagined it would be.