Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Patrick's day, how do you celebrate?

St. Patrick's day, how do you celebrate?

Corned beef is cooking, cabbage ready to put in. Potatoes being prepped. Use to be a day that I would break out the good Irish whiskey. Sing Bing Crosby's hit "Mrs Murphy's Chowder". Just a fun day for almost springtime.
    Jim

Wife is Irish, and I'm IBM (Irish by marriage) When St patrick's day DOESN'T fall on the weekend, we like to go to Savanah and enjoy the parade. Unfortunately when it's on a weekend, it becomes a drunken brawl. Plus motel rooms become stupidly expensive. Were planning to go to local parade yesterday, but had a couple kidney stones removed on Friday, so I wasn't up to that. Had corned beef and cabbage last weekend. Will have it again later in month when grand daughter can make it over. House is full of "things O green."

I don't...
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    I'm no more Irish in March 17th than I am Mexican on May 5.

I don't celebrate either, but I wish those who do a happy one!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

By working.

Why I celebrate. My grandfather on my mom's side came to US from Ireland around 1900. My great grandfather on dad's side came to US sometime in the mid 1800's from where? Pallas, Ireland of course.
    Jim

1/4 Irish here (until some DNA test tells me otherwise), on my mother's side. Usually corned beef and cabbage at a favorite pub, and a couple of Irish whiskys. Out of town this weekend, so probably just the whiskys.

When in college, a group of us would wear orange., When I lived in Arlington VA, there was a Mexican -Irish Bar/restaurant named Carlos O"kelly's. At St Patty's it was standing room only from about noon to closing. (Great Food) I stopped celebrating decades ago. Although, I do like a Rueben sandwich, it is the only time I eat corned beef and. Sauerkraut or cole slaw is the only way I eat cabbage. Can't stand it boiled.

Blog Entries
    This is the first time in my memory we forgot to buy a few hunks of corned beef. One of my favorites things is to make my own corned beef hash from the left overs.

Maybe corned beef will be on sale through next week.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I go to the local Polish American hall

Blog Entries
    AB337DED-A9A3-41A9-B4B6-7F7656BFD063.jpgB1B56162-6719-4EF0-A7BE-E1DFBAD07161.jpg

Update: Hull Bay Hideaway is serving corned beef and cabbage. I suddenly became Irish. ...and apparently upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Today, I celebrated by putting a new tarp on a Shelter logic building.
    Never been a big St. Paddy's day person. For those that are, have a great time. I've got a Guinness in the 'fridge in support.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

We usually have a nice big feed of corned beef and cabbage, along with a few green beer throughout the day. Plus we always wear green, that is something that we must never forget to do. The person who wears the least amount of green, get to do the dishes by hand. And I hate doing dishes, so, I even make sure that I wear my underwear. Some of the guys even wear two pairs of green socks, because remember, it's who wears the least amount of green. We love to get together to have fun, and today is one of our favorite days to party and have harmless fun with family and friends.

Len

Every weekend is St Paddy's day. We have an Irish/Celtic/Old timey jam every Saturday at a local care at Mass MoCA. We started it out in a different location back in 2001. Great fun. Jigs, reels, waltzes, hambos, hornpipes, and old time tunes.