Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which Slider Miter Saw to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    If I had sounded like a Festool salesman, I would have recommended the Kapex for carpentry and job site work.

How did I know one does not need a Kapex to do carpentry? Because I have seen good work done in homes (including mine) by trade people using anything but the Kapex. Good work done using Dewalt, Makita, Ridigd, etc. etc.

By the way, I did not say you can't use a Kapex for job site work...in fact, many trade people in the EU do.

Simon

Yep, more sales speak.

How come you “need” a Kapex for your shop? Guess you haven’t seen good work done there with a Dewalt,Ridgid,Makita, huh ?

You’re right, you didn’t say one can’t use a Kapex for sight work. No one said you did. But you’re talking outa both sides of your mouth when you opine that a site carpenter doesn’t need a Kapex but a shop guy can benefit from one.

Like a salesman.

Anyone can use whatever tool they want wherever. That’s kinda obvious. What I am saying is : for those considering rolling the dice on a Kapex; it’s just as well suited for sitework as it is for stationary shop work.

- and -

One can do fine work either place without a Kapex. I’ve done it both places with and without a Kapex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Yep, more sales speak. Like a salesman.
    Wow. Sounds like you're some guy who can't stand anyone loving their Kapexes. I've come across a good share of people like that on the sawstop, but the Kapex? Why? Because it's green?

Simon

Makita saws are notorious for rails not being co-planar with the blade. I specifically looked at three cordless SCMS saws that are basically the same mechanical design as corded. I think a lot of people just do not check too much. I have resigned to having to shoot/plane critical cuts. Kapex is definitely overpriced for what it delivers for example cordless Makita seems to be more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    Makita saws are notorious for rails not being co-planar with the blade. I have resigned to having to shoot/plane critical cuts.
    The co-planer issue was reported in 2017, and Makita had acknowledged about that consumer/manufacturing concern. Has it not been fixed by now?

By the way, not wanting to do shoot/plane anymore was the main reason why I landed on a Kapex (having the best possible dust collection was the other reason).

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-21-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Another vote for DeWalt DWS779 which I use on its carrier sled. That said, I have a 15 year old 10" Hitachi which is dead on accurate and attached to a bench. I have a cast iron 240v 50 year old DeWalt Radial Arm Saw which does a lot, but does need re-calibrating from time to time, which I use for dado work and rough cuts.

I personally saw the problem in 2017 and 2018, seems to be some sort of design issue that QA does not always catch. I also saw a mention of it recently here on sawmillcreek.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    The co-planer issue was reported in 2017, and Makita had acknowledged about that consumer/manufacturing concern. Has it not been fixed by now?

By the way, not wanting to do shoot/plane anymore was the main reason why I landed on a Kapex (having the best possible dust collection was the other reason).

Simon

I have the Dewalt DWS780, but only because no one had the Bosch GCM12SD in stock. Now that I have it, and have since been able to use the Bosch, I am happy with my Dewalt. I prefer the shadow line for the saw kerf than the laser on the Bosch.

Today, I dipped my toes into the Festool pool and bought a DF 700. While I was in the Festool showroom, I asked the sales rep about the Kapex problems. He knew about the motor problems outside Europe, but has never seen a returned saw in any of his Germany stores.

Blog Entries
    I will give Festool credit where due, the did fix the motor issue on mine. It started to lose power and began to produce an electrical smell. They sent me a new box, I packaged it into the box and then sent it to them. They returned it back very quickly.

It was under warranty, so no charge, but I decided to sell it after that.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Down boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Yep, more sales speak.

How come you “need” a Kapex for your shop? Guess you haven’t seen good work done there with a Dewalt,Ridgid,Makita, huh ?

You’re right, you didn’t say one can’t use a Kapex for sight work. No one said you did. But you’re talking outa both sides of your mouth when you opine that a site carpenter doesn’t need a Kapex but a shop guy can benefit from one.

Like a salesman.

Anyone can use whatever tool they want wherever. That’s kinda obvious. What I am saying is : for those considering rolling the dice on a Kapex; it’s just as well suited for sitework as it is for stationary shop work.

- and -

One can do fine work either place without a Kapex. I’ve done it both places with and without a Kapex.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have the Bosch glide and it is great. I would have went with the DeWalt, because that is what I've used for years with great success, but I did not want it sticking out so far in my new shop, therefore I went with the Bosch. Been very happy with it.

I must be the only person on this forum that loves his 12" Milwaukee. Interesting.
    Gary

I have a dewalt non slider. Works really well for me. I built a hood around the back of it with some plywood and a 4” dust hose hookup. Not perfect but good enough for the girls I go with. I only get a faint amount of dust out the front now.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Not true. The new Makita is as good as the Festool in collection and a better saw in my opinion for less than half the cost.

Is the the Makita LS1219L you're referring to?

Alan,

Do yourself a favor. Go to some business that carries the saws you are considering and take a few minutes to play with them. Then make your decision. I thought sure I wanted a Bosch Glide until I tried one in a local store. The one I tried had too much lateral play for me to feel comfortable with it's repeatability. Now I am sure that may raise some arguments. That was my experience. I ended up buying a Dewalt slider with the LED system on it. Though it requires that it be set farther out from the wall taking up more room, I know from over 2 years of experience that I can change angles and return to a previous setting and it will be on, accurately repeatable.

Don't take my or others words. Go try them out for yourself then make your decision.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I always enjoy these types of threads "which ____ to buy"? We all have opinions based on our own experiences or the experiences of others, which are often complicated by variables such as price, space, etc. Often the the brands mentioned in these threads will have their champions as well as a few dissatisfied users. Regarding the tool in question in this thread, I have the DeWalt 780 with shadow light, it has proven to be accurate and reliable (10 plus years). If it broke tomorrow (knock on wood), I would replace it with another DeWalt....my reasoning for replacing it with a like model says a lot about the positive experiences I have had with the saw, but a major consideration is also it works in the space I created for it and it would be a hassle to reconfigure things. Poor reasoning? Perhaps; but it is a consideration.