Thread: Panel Max clamp. Anyone use them?

Panel Max clamp. Anyone use them?

I've been using cauls for years. I'm looking for something a bit easier to use. Making fancy end grain cutting boards for friends has created a new need for something better than what I've been doing. I was also thinking about using some 1X square tubing, then I stumbled onto this Panel Max system and it looks like a decent system. End user thoughts would be appreciated. I'm also curious if it has to be used vertically, or can it be used off a table?

I've used similar things in employments ,they work well. But even though we had a good number of them ,we still needed
    to use the old bar clamps. Used ones are good ,too. Some will have a slight bow, but it's not a problem. I use saw
    horses. One wooden Jorgenson clamp on each bar clamp at handle end keeps the bar clamps vertical. I always use spring
    clamps at board ends to keep them aligned while tightening the bar clamps. Before you joint the boards lay them out
    for good match and put a big penciled V accross them to preserve you layout order. Joint one board toward jointer fence,
    next board out. Then you don't have to worry about slightly off perpendicular jointer fence.

Also look at the 4-way clamps available from a number of different suppliers. I use the Woodcraft version for creating cutting boards and they work quite well. Some people think the clamps are too fussy, but if you practice a time or two and use a block to hold the upper bar out of your way, you get nice, flat boards. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...lamping-system

I was looking at those Tom. I was wondering if they actually work. Seems like a relatively inexpensive thing to try.

Michael, I have four clamps that I use regularly for gluing cutting boards, or just about any time I create a panel.

Thanks Tom. I might as well try them. Seeing how you have experience using them, is there a particular wood and dimension that you suggest I machine it to? I figure 32" is about the max width I'd need them for. Can't really recall making a panel wider than that......

I have the Plano clamps mounted on a wall. I can glue really flat panels up to 37"w x 8' long. It is a bit fussy to load but good results.

I have 3 of the 4 way clamping clamps, have them for 30 years, but I've never found them easy to use, so they collect dust hanging on the wall.

I came across this video, and so my give this a try.

I have watched that video Chris. I have watched many of RB's videos. That's why I mentioned using 1X square tubing in my initial inquiry. Before I put time into making a clamping system, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask this forum for advise.

If money was not a factor, I'd order a few clamps from Frontline...... They look to be the best thing on the market, but damn......$$$$$$$ https://www.frontlineengineering.com.au/