Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound right?

Does this sound right?

I finally got my 5HP Onida cyclone hooked up. It was a used unit when I got it, I'm not sure it sounds right, to me it sounds like the motor is vibrating while it has power. I could be just paranoid. If it is an issue how do I fix?
    Thanks for the help

Wonder if there could be a tiny strip of wood contacting the impeller? Would remove the blower from the housing and look inside to see if there is some kind of interference. The blower does not seem to shake?

That does sound like something is in contact with the impeller, IMHO. Probably best to open it up. If there's nothing in there, perhaps there is an issue with bearings...that's a nasty sound!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hope it's not the bearings it is a brand new motor.

There is nothing inside, the fan turns freely, it makes the sound without the ductwork attached, taking the filters off makes no difference. What I can't figure out is why it make the sound only with the power on as soon as it is turned off the sound stops. I would think if it was the bearings it would continue until the rotation stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Sidley View Post
    There is nothing inside, the fan turns freely, it makes the sound without the ductwork attached, taking the filters off makes no difference. What I can't figure out is why it make the sound only with the power on as soon as it is turned off the sound stops. I would think if it was the bearings it would continue until the rotation stops.
    If the bearing(s) are only just starting to go, there's a pretty good chance that the noise will be there only under load, i.e. with power applied. If the noise continues during spindown, that's a bad sign. You might have a bit of time before that happens. You should have a look at those bearings before things get really messed up.

Can you take off the impeller? If the bearings are bad, which I doubt because you said it is a new motor, then they will make a little noise and you might be able to feel it when tuning the shaft over by hand. If the impeller is out of balance or loose on the shaft that would cause a vibration making noise. A long shot of a guess but might as well rule it out.

This is going to be a long process.IMG_2059[2801].JPG the motor sticks through the floor and there is a cabinet over it now so I will have to remove it and pull the motor which weighs a ton. I did have to pull the fan off the shaft to change the motor so hopefully, it is just that.
    Last edited by Jerome Sidley; 03-17-2019 at 4:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Sidley View Post
    This is going to be a long process.IMG_2059[2801].JPG the motor sticks through the floor and there is a cabinet over it now so I will have to remove it and pull the motor which weighs a ton.
    It could also be something as simple as a loose mounting, which might mimic a bad bearing, but you'd find that out fairly early in the process.

It's always helpful to build in easy access, rescue the wrench, find the missing hamster, the works in a drawer, etc.

Just as a "program note", it's not a good idea to run the unit without ductwork attached...

I agree with Doug...check each and every one of the "little stupid possibilities", especially since you did have to do some disassembly to replace the motor. You might also launch a call into Oneida to get their thoughts on what to look for given the sound you are experiencing.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Just as a "program note", it's not a good idea to run the unit without ductwork attached...
    I hear that so many times and yet to see anyone reporting a motor committing suicide because of it. I have run mine without the motor several times and I do understand the theory but have yet to see the practical result. I would remove both the ducting connection and the exhaust connection and see if the noise is still present, you most probably will not even have to get it up to full speed to hear if it is still there. I would have to ask the question of why it has had a new motor installed as the installation seems a likely reason for the noise, maybe something floating around in the impeller housing??
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris, the need for the new motor was detailed in another thread awhile ago, if I'm not mistaken.
    --

Could you have installed the impeller close enough to the motor end of the shaft that it is contacting the motor mount bolt heads when running? Seems like you would have noticed that before finishing the install, but if it were close a little runout or imbalance might make it show up at speed. If there is runout in the shaft that should be a warranty issue.

Did you observe this unit running smoothly before purchase?

Something is not right and you will have to pull the motor to see what. I feel your pain.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 03-18-2019 at 3:44 AM.

Just wondering if the new motor is turning the right direction......???????

I haven't had time to get out to the shop hopefully this weekend. I now have a lot of ideas of where to start.