Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this sound right?

1. I'll be the contrarian here and may be wrong, but to me it doesn't sound like anything is wrong other than the vibration resonating a little more than you'd like. Snugging some bolts may or may not help. Tinkering with the mounting may also help.

There is a lot of potential for resonating when you have a big mostly empty sheet metal enclosure attached directly to a motor/blower.

The fan looked like it was moving down the shaft I put it back up and tightened the set screws as much as I could, if it happens again I'll put some locktite on them. Sure sounds a lot better.
    Last edited by Jerome Sidley; 03-23-2019 at 11:58 AM.

That's good to not hear.

Yeah I was worried it was the bearings, as the motor is vertical nowhere does it say you can't do that but you never know.

I find it a bit of a shock that they use set screws to hold an impeller to the motor shaft when a taper lock is a far more robust way of doing the same thing.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Was there no loctite on the grub screws when you took the impeller off the original motor? I had to apply heat to mine to break it loose. I would suggest pulling it again and applying loctite as opposed to having it let go in an uncontrolled excursion down the line.

You can put an amp meter on the motor to check for overloading. the impeller Oneida uses is designed to not overload the motor, as the cfm tops off unlike a straight blade impeller but checking is better than hoping. Sounds like bearings or an out of balance impeller, although sound transmits oddly if the housing is in contact with wood. Dave