Thread: Spring Cleaning...or finding the floor

Spring Cleaning...or finding the floor

I was just beginning a new project and became frustrated at how things have gotten cluttered and just difficult. So, I have a stand-down and total clean-up and out happening. The weather has straightened out so I could pull the tractor and a couple winter storage items out to make the space to clean effectively. A couple more days and I can get back to work. There have been a number of "ah-hah" and "there it is" moments. I am also asking those folks who have stored things with me to come and get them. I'm not a potter but I have a rather large kiln sitting by the door and a brand new free boiler someone wanted last fall. Now that winter is over... He has until Wednesday. I am emptying every rack and thinning the herd in every tool drawer. Both my Sons-in-laws will get a pretty substantial box of assorted hand tools. A lot of things are difficult to part with but it is also refreshing to be doing this and I'm looking forward to working in a "new" shop.

Going through the same song and dance myself. Just added some additional square footage to the shop space and letting go of some seldom used and forgotten items. Don't miss them so far. I read a lot of woodworking stuff and it makes no sense to keep numerous back issues, although I do tear out some of the more interesting articles and add them to the 'someday' stack.

I've gotten into the habit of doing a "down time" day or two after any major project to clean up the shop. It's both necessary and a relaxing way to decompress before what comes next. I've been getting more an more anal about organization, too, since that makes the periodic attention to cleaning easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

With my new DC coming this weekend i have a bunch of clean and reorganize days coming. Im excited for the cleanup, shop is nicer clean. Now if only my wife would let me get a shed so i can empty half the garage.