Thread: Flocking on top of finish

Flocking on top of finish

I’m finishing a project for a client and I’m either going to finish it with Waterlox or Poly. It’s a center console for a client’s RV that will go between the front seats. He wanted a tray routed out that he can put his cell phones on and I was going to use flocking to keep the phones from sliding. Can I put the flocking over the Waterlox or should I leave that wood raw when I finish and then put the flocking on?

Decide what you are using to adhere the flocking to the substrate and then decide whether it will stick to the finish. It will be better to finish under the flocking if you can. It will stabilise the timber better and mak the piece more water resistant in case of spills.

When choosing your finish, pick one that has high temperature tolerance. Even on cool clear days, car interiors get very hot. Cheers

If you are using the typical flocking setup where you apply the "adhesive" (which is basically a thicker paint product) and then "sprinkle" the flocking on, yes, you can apply it over the finish. That said, it's not necessarily a good idea to put Waterlox or other oil based clears on the interior of cabinets as they are going to off-gas "forever" and impart that odor to anything stored in there. A water borne product may be a better choice for that job and the flocking system will still work. Even though the flocking "adhesive" is oil based, I don't find it to off-gas like the clears do on the small boxes I put it in. You can also use "peel and stick" flocking sheets, at least for the compartment bottoms. Another option might be an elastic "bed liner" type product, but I don't know about off-gassing with that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys. I am planning on using the Flock it adhesive. This will just be a panel mounted on a pole that sits in the open. Sorry for not clarifying. Very good point about how hot it gets in a car.

If I remember correctly the Flock-It instructions recommend applying over a finish. It is quite thick and perniciously sticky. You will be able to get a more even coat over a finish. I don't know about Waterlox or poly. I used shellac.

I don't think flocking will keep your cell phones from sliding. I think the only way to do that is to put dividers in the tray making spaces approxx. the size of the cell phone. Flocking or an upholstery fabric would still provide a nice soft surface for phones. Are you aware of the cell phone holders that fit into cup holders?
    https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adj...-2-spons&psc=1

William makes a good point...a rubberized or silicone mat lining might be the better choice to reduce things from shifting around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...