Thread: Wood type?

Wood type?

Hi, everybody, first time posting. I found this wood in the rafters of my garage, glued up in some wonky panels. So I cut them and cleaned them up and now have about twenty 5" x 44" pieces. I've got some plans for them just looking for help identifying the wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My guess is "Phillipine mahogany" ,one of several mahogany substitutes. The first one ,from left, might be cherry, or just more of the other stuff.

The darker three look like what we call Brazilian Walnut. The sappy two look like actual walnut.

Cool, thanks! It didn't look that great in the glue ups so I was just going to throw it up on my wall to hang tools. But after taking a pass at the planer I decided it looked too nice for that, so I guess I'll be looking for something different now

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Graham View Post
    Hi, everybody, first time posting. I found this wood in the rafters of my garage, glued up in some wonky panels. So I cut them and cleaned them up and now have about twenty 5" x 44" pieces. I've got some plans for them just looking for help identifying the wood.
    When IDing wood from a photo of a board you can get a variety of guesses, maybe one right if you are lucky.

If you want to increase the odds, read section 7 on this page. A few easy steps by comparing what you see with the end grain photos on the same web site you can at least eliminate some guesses and perhaps identify the wood.
    https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...ication-guide/
    Another useful clue is the board weight/density - measure and weigh, section 4. Smell is a good indicator if you or a friend have experience with a candidate species.

If you want to get an idea of how much variation is in a candidate species, look at the photos on this site:
    http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/w...ss_ref_COM.htm
    Scroll down the list and find the candidate in the Common Name column.

JKJ