I live in a rural area and have wireless internet service with a receiver mounted on the roof. The cable coming in the house looks like a heavy duty ethernet cable and plugs into a port labeled "POE" on their supplied modem. Outside of the A/C power cord the only other connection on their modem is an ethernet cable connected to the "LAN" port. That ethernet cable went to router that I purchased at the time I got the service.

I only have 2 ethernet connections to the router - my desktop PC and my smart TV. The only wireless device I used was my cell phone. But a while back I changed my phone service plan and then turned off the wireless connection on my phone. About a week ago my router died. So rather than buy a new one I just plugged my PC directly into the modem LAN port and that worked fine. The once or twice a week when I want to stream a movie on my TV I simply disconnected the PC cable from the modem and plugged the TV cable in.

Since I now only need to switch between 2 ethernet connections to the modem I figured they must make a splitter of some kind so I wouldn't have to keep physically changing cables. I discovered the ethernet switch which looks like it would work but all the information I can find on line about them shows that they are always connected to an ethernet port on a router to expand that port.

Does anyone know if this kind of switch can plug into a modem LAN port to expand it. Or is there some kind of device out there that would give me a couple of ethernet connections without a wireless feature (like all routers seem to have).